Broody Buffs

Eggeater

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
VT
Two of my Buff Orpingtons have become broody and I would like them to sit and hatch some chicks. I have removed them from their flock and placed them in a separate coop with fertilized eggs that I have been given. My question is: Is their instinct strong enough so that they adapt to their new location and continue to sit? Or, will I have to let them sit in their usual coop with the other 14 hens until the chicks hatch and then remove them with their young brood to the new coop? Any input is welcome! Thanks!

In my experience, every broody is different.

I had 2 in the dead of winter that took me forever to break. I'm on my third this spring. I moved the first 2 at night while they were sleeping, and they rejected their new nests and gave up on motherhood, just like that.

My newest went broody this week, and I moved her to a crate in broad daylight. She sat right down on the fake eggs, and seems like she's going to stick with it. I think you're safer moving her before she sits then trying to move them after the chicks hatch.

There are lots of posts on here about moving broodies. Someone recently recommend moving them at night, and then keeping a box over them for 24 hours to keep them disoriented while they get used to their new nest. I was going to try that today but it was just too hot!

Good luck! I have eggs in the incubator that are going under mine tomorrow night if she's still at it.

Thanks! They have been in the new coop all night. I think I'll keep it dark in there for today and see if they take to the new nests.

Back
Top Bottom