broody cage/jail?

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
Is a 4x2x1ft wire floor quail cage suitable as a broody jail? I've got her in during the day and planning on putting her in the coop (her nest is somewhere else) until she returns to normal. It's the only cage I've got with a wire floor since I heard you need to have air flow under them. Will this work? Or any ideas? It looks so cruel to her lol.

Is a 4x2x1ft wire floor quail cage suitable as a broody jail? I've got her in during the day and planning on putting her in the coop (her nest is somewhere else) until she returns to normal. It's the only cage I've got with a wire floor since I heard you need to have air flow under them. Will this work? Or any ideas? It looks so cruel to her lol.
You can keep picking her up and lifting her out of the nest or let her hatch some chicken/duck eggs. My hen successfully hatched and raised Cayugas a few days ago

You can keep picking her up and lifting her out of the nest or let her hatch some chicken/duck eggs. My hen successfully hatched and raised Cayugas a few days ago

i've got a hen with chicks and another hen sitting on a nest already, and this broody built her nest high up in a tree where even if she hatches anything the chicks will die anyway.

Hen like chicken hen?
And she made a nest high up in a tree? I haven't ever used a broody breaking cage but I have read they work. Not sure what size is rec for one hen, maybe @sourland has had more experience.

So, I just went through this. I can tell you that your chicken really should be able to move around in it. I used a wire dog kennel that had a hard ma on the floor and no bedding. I put it up on bricks. Put some food and water in it and put it where she can see her chicken friends and they can see her. And also - keep her in there - full time - until you notice a chance in behavior (no clucking, she's eating, drinking). Then let her out at early dusk and see how she is. It took my hen 3 full days of being in there.

I tried the water - it didn't work.

she can move around in it, the ceiling is maybe 2" above her head though. i moved her to a run area instead though it doesn't have the 'air flowly freely underneath'. i've got a big brooding cage i could put her in but that has the same problem (solid floor). i guess she's between 'large breed' and 'bantam' size (father was a bantam). though it's getting late so she'll be back in the coop with the others soon.

might try to build some sort of wire floor for the large brooding cage tomorrow. i don't think it would fit in the coop, but i could put her in the shed for a few days.

Hen like chicken hen?
And she made a nest high up in a tree? I haven't ever used a broody breaking cage but I have read they work. Not sure what size is rec for one hen, maybe @sourland has had more experience.

yeah, a chicken. these pavlov crosses seem to love making nests in the most ridiculous places possible. when the cockerel was smaller he managed to fly 20ft straight up into a tree to roost. now they're a bit bigger they can only clear about 6-8ft but still much more agile than my 'light sussex' hen. :p

Back
Top Bottom