Broody/chick issue

I have this recipe made up already but been on the shelf for a while. I will probably have to make fresh. But still how do I get her to take it?

1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda (do NOT use baking powder)
1/4 teaspoon Ginger Powder (you can even use the contents of a human Ginger capsule)
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
a squirt of Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon of water

I just saw this on here somewhere...I don't remember where though. It showed where to squirt it in the mouth. The hole at the back of the mouth/entrance to the throat is the trachea. Don't squirt it in there...squirt it to the side of that.

If you have a small syringe, those work great. Or a medicine dropper.

Wish I had immediate access to the setup she has here.

Would be so much easier then what the vet gave me... I can't do this by myself....

Wish I had immediate access to the setup she has here.

Would be so much easier then what the vet gave me... I can't do this by myself....
She just has what appears to be a 20cc syringe and stiff poly tubing like one uses for an aquarium.

That's a good video! The video shows a really good view of the trachea at the 3:30 mark. Huge respect to those people who tube and do it well. I prefer to not tube if I don't have to. I've done it with calves, lambs and piglets (which don't require a tube) At least with a chicken you can see the trachea with a chicken.

Your mix doesn't have anything for energy for your hen. If her crop is empty and she hasn't been eating, she needs something that gives her energy and nutrients.

I am unsure the tiny bit she had last night emptied through the night. I've done that recipe before for an impacted crop. Just don't remember how I did it. May have added it to a small ammount of food and they ate it themselves if they were still eating at that point..

I'm gonna contact vet for the tomcat catheter and see if she also has one of those type syringes also. Just don't know if it will be in time.

Unsure if I can tube feed but that won't stop me from trying at least a couple times.

Last edited:
Think I am gonna let the chicks out again for a little while but this time we aren't leaving the yard.

WARNING - GRAPHIC

I should have put her out of her misery a long time ago. Like within days of her hatching. I do not believe I could have saved her. I could always be wrong. Where to begin.

I think some internal laying was going on. He pulled out one busted egg shell. Had a rotten whole eggs in there too.

Her gizzard had gravel and tons of what smelled and looked like fermented grass(?). Possible tumors(?). And her blood coagulated immediately...

Can I put this inside a drop down of sorts so I can warn those not to read? I want to delete this...

Never did I notice anything that looked like egg in her poo. I watch that closely with all my girls. Scanning butts & poo nearly daily

Wish I had many answers to the many things going on with her. Oh there was what looked like possibly a small egg forming or who know what that was.

He just told me she didn't bleed much at all and like I said before. It coagulated very quickly. So quickly it is still stuck to her.

I am so sorry for the graphic details. I do not want to post this. Nope didn't get pictures. Just let her rest in peace. Not something I can unsee and will be with me for a very long time.

Can I delete this? Not sure how to put it any other way so you understand. I feel so bad for letting her suffer this long. Next time I will go with my gut.

Last edited:
I'm taking that video down. I want no reminders of how badly I let her suffer. My best momma and I treated her like that. I knew there wasn't a mite infestation. 2 or three are normal. And that is literally all I seen.

I am so angry with myself.

I greatly appreciate the help. And even learned a few things for the future.

Thank you & God Bless

Last edited:
:hugs

I'm sorry for your loss.

No need to apologize about the description - you have a "warning" there. This is an ER thread. People post photos and describe all sorts of things in this section of BYC.

What you describe sounds like she may have had Salpingitis or Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Without seeing, it would be hard to know which one (sometimes it's hard to tell), but both generally have the same outcome. Even if caught early and treated with antibiotics, long term prognosis is not good. Antibiotics can help give some relief for a short period of time, but hens with these conditions eventually decline, succumbing to illness and pass.

Don't beat yourself up. Chickens hide illness very well, it's survival for them. If they show any sign of weakness they risk being attacked by the flock.

You did the best you could trying to help her and figure out what was going on. Take a moment to remember her, then focus on her beautiful lively chicks, they need you.

Back
Top Bottom