Broody Chick

Lill_biitt

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2021
So i have a bantam hen who is broody sitting on 8 pheasant eggs. Two have hatched already.
They are in my coup in a nesting box and we put up higher walls so the birds don’t fall out.
What all do i need to do to make sure these babies stay healthy and are on the right process of growing.
When can i let them start leaving the nest, is momma gonna take care of everything etc.

I’m new to baby birds hatching of any kind.

Thanks for info in advance

(The photo was before the second one hatched)

Attachments

• 4B5165EA-0667-42EF-BD3F-852F285BBE30.jpeg
    4B5165EA-0667-42EF-BD3F-852F285BBE30.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 6
Some hens like to hatch but don't like mothering. You should start getting a heat lamp and brooder all set up in case you need to raise them.

Watch for the hens behavior, provide your hen with food and water and keep her and the babies separated but together. A mother hen will teach the babies to eat , drink and keep them warm. If she shows no interest in her babies, than remove them and put them in a brooder to be taken care of. I’ve had a hen do a wonderful job and all the work with her chicks and than I had a hen , leave the chicks and I took over.

Watch for the hens behavior, provide your hen with food and water and keep her and the babies separated but together. A mother hen will teach the babies to eat , drink and keep them warm. If she shows no interest in her babies, than remove them and put them in a brooder to be taken care of. I’ve had a hen do a wonderful job and all the work with her chicks and than I had a hen , leave the chicks and I took over.
So far we have been doing great ! We isolated momma and baby they have food and water always and i couldn’t ask for a better brooder.
Baby seems very healthy and loves to peep and hop around.

Attachments

• 8DE7CC6A-491C-43D0-BD54-886EC9ADFAFC.jpeg
    8DE7CC6A-491C-43D0-BD54-886EC9ADFAFC.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom