Broody Chicken/Adopted chicks

emmalou1

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Paris, TX
Good morning everyone! I have a broody hen that has been sitting for a week. She is currently sitting on 4 eggs. I have no rooster so she’s not actually accomplishing anything. I was thinking of getting 2 babies from the farm store for her to raise. Do I need to wait for her to sit longer before getting the chicks? Any tips for a successful adoption? Thank you :jumpy

Good morning everyone! I have a broody hen that has been sitting for a week. She is currently sitting on 4 eggs. I have no rooster so she’s not actually accomplishing anything. I was thinking of getting 2 babies from the farm store for her to raise. Do I need to wait for her to sit longer before getting the chicks? Any tips for a successful adoption? Thank you :jumpy
I would wait until she has been incubating for at least 18 day before attempting introduction and use the youngest chicks you can get. When conditions ideal I can make introduction at any time of day, but if things questionable, then chicks are introduced as lights go out care taken to watch for hen pecking chicks the following morning. If hen pecks chicks, then pen them close to her for day where she cannot peck them but so she and chicks can hear each other clearly. This facilitates the imprinting process. Then repeat the placing chicks under her in the evening for the night to see of the imprinting process is furthered. There is not real magic to how the chicks and broody bond, you just got to get them to synchronize without somebody getting hurt.

I would wait until she has been incubating for at least 18 day before attempting introduction and use the youngest chicks you can get. When conditions ideal I can make introduction at any time of day, but if things questionable, then chicks are introduced as lights go out care taken to watch for hen pecking chicks the following morning. If hen pecks chicks, then pen them close to her for day where she cannot peck them but so she and chicks can hear each other clearly. This facilitates the imprinting process. Then repeat the placing chicks under her in the evening for the night to see of the imprinting process is furthered. There is not real magic to how the chicks and broody bond, you just got to get them to synchronize without somebody getting hurt.
Today was the day! The farm store got a fresh batch of babies today. I waited until 10pm to do the swap. The babies immediately snuggled up to Blanche the Broody. I hung around the henhouse for about 15 minutes listening and heard her doing what I assume is the chicken version of shushing her babies. I hope she accepts them. This is the first time I’ve tried introducing babies to a broody hen.

Attachments

• 656839C9-7216-47B1-A287-D52F99C9FA06.jpeg
    656839C9-7216-47B1-A287-D52F99C9FA06.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 15
Be out there at dawn to make certain. Going under her simply means she is broody.
I went out about 30 minutes ago. She had I guess kicked them out. They were down with the rest of the hens. Neither was hurt thankfully. I put them in the brooder for now. I have a wire dog crate I’m planning to put them in inside the chicken coop so mom can hear them like you suggested. This is the first time I’ve had a broody chicken.

That nest looks deep, how did the chicks get out?
Did you remove the eggs when you added the chicks?
Not only does the broody need to accept the chicks,
the chicks need to stick to the broody and sometimes they don't.

I went out about 30 minutes ago. She had I guess kicked them out. They were down with the rest of the hens. Neither was hurt thankfully. I put them in the brooder for now. I have a wire dog crate I’m planning to put them in inside the chicken coop so mom can hear them like you suggested. This is the first time I’ve had a broody chicken.
Keep the chicks very close to her all day.

Keep the chicks very close to her all day.
That’s just one nesting box of 4 in our hen house, it’s attached to the coop on one side so we can gather eggs without going into the coop. It’s circled in the picture. Should I attempt to put them under her again tonight? I’m scared she’s going to hurt them.

Attachments

• 7DA66946-E1F4-4A0A-B9B7-C85CAD998E61.jpeg
    7DA66946-E1F4-4A0A-B9B7-C85CAD998E61.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 5
That nest looks deep, how did the chicks get out?
Did you remove the eggs when you added the chicks?
Not only does the broody need to accept the chicks,
the chicks need to stick to the broody and sometimes they don't.
I removed the eggs. See the above reply for a picture and info about the nest 👆🏻

Back
Top Bottom