Broody chicken on golf balls

filomeli

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
My chicken is broody and was sitting on one egg so I gave her more to sit on, like golf balls and took the one egg. I am hoping to introduce 3 to 4 chicks that a day or two old at night in hopes she might accept them. I have no roosters so I want to give her the chicks. I have two other chickens and am wondering how they might treat the new chicks. I can separate them during the day but at night they all go into the same coop. What say you???

I did that 9 weeks ago. worked GREAT! its called "grafting". only thing is I think you should separate her and her chicks from everyone else for at least a week or so. she will protect them the best she can but it is only the best she is capable of. and your chicks will be wild! mine are totally afraid of us. no holding them in the box in the house and "socializing" them. but broody hen is soooo much easier! good luck

BTW WELCOME!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Yes I agree with consdrs, separate the momma and chicks till the chicks get bigger, you could just section off an area in the coop for them. We did this for ours, I went out every day and played with the chicks and momma and ours still let you catch them and hold them... of course not everyone has the time to go play with thier chickies every day. Quick story, so after my momma's babies all grew up, I went out one day and couldn't find her... she had moved ALL the golf balls to one nest and was trying to hatch them... silly broody
smile.png

Quote:
OMG!! My hen is still broody too!!! she has been broody for almost 5 months! when is she going to get over it! I gave her chicks! for crying out loud!

Back
Top Bottom