Broody chicken taking Broody Pekin Ducks eggs

DucknChicken

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2015
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

I have a very broody pekin duck (Betsy) and a very broody chicken (Bombay). I have no rooster therefore my chickens eggs aren't fertile. The duck has been sitting on about 12 fertile eggs for a couple of weeks and now the chicken has set up a nest right next to Betsy. The chicken has now taken all of Betsy's eggs into her nest and Betsy is still sitting on 'nothing'. What should I do??? I was going to get some fertile eggs for Bombay to sit on - do you think that would be the best solution so Betsy can sit on her own eggs again?

Thanks in advance.
Deb

Put the eggs back under the duck.
Put the chicken in broody jail. That would be a wire bottom cage suspended to get cool air to her underside. She'll be cured in a couple days.

You could also just split the eggs between them. Or you could go get fertile eggs for the hen too. Either way, find some way to separate them so the hen doesn't do any more egg stealing...

thanks so much for your replies - mirandaleecon, I got some fertile eggs yesterday and made up a little private area for Bombay the chicken, she is sitting happily on them and Betsy has got all her duck eggs back - happy girls now! Appreciate all your help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom