broody chicken

welcome-byc.gif

Ok none of them r doing that. So I guess they r not Broodys! Can there eggs be Fertile even if they r not broody chickens?
If they've been with a rooster, the eggs are likely fertile, just like any animal, including humans.
Fertile yes, but they won't develop if there isn't a hen sitting on them. The eggs have to be in the 80s or 90s for cell division. The 80s won't turn into chicks but cells will divide.

I also have a broody hen. We are trying the cage but she's not happy about that. She's barely eating and she's has started to pluck her breast feathers out. If after a couple of days we let her out and she goes right back to brooding, I think we will buy some fertilized eggs, we don't have a rooster, and let her hatch. With that said, we don't know much about this process. We have two other girls and only z nest boxes so we would build two more onto the coop. I have some questions about where to buy, I live in southwest Washington, do they need to be the same breed as her, do they need to go under her a certain time of day, what happens when they hatch? What should we expect? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have a 3 yr old Buff Orpington that has been broody for 10 days now. We put her in the box of shame (as we refer to it) every morning. This girl is our broody one but it has never lasted more than 2-3 days in the past. Suggestions

I have a 3 yr old Buff Orpington that has been broody for 10 days now. We put her in the box of shame (as we refer to it) every morning. This girl is our broody one but it has never lasted more than 2-3 days in the past. Suggestions
Leave her in the "box of shame" day and night - by only putting her in every morning you are leaving her to bed down and be broody all night and are extending the period it will take to snap her out of it.

I will try that. Thank you We do close off the nesting boxes at night and she does go back to the perch with the rest of the girls. Tonight I watched her hop up on the perch.

Is the box of shame built in such a way that cool air can reach her underside?

Back
Top Bottom