Broody Cochin questions

jrode

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014

This is mama... She started with 2 chicks but 1 chick was killed in a food stampede... So I learned that lesson & separated her & her baby into their own small coop... Mama started laying eggs a few weeks ago & I decided to let her try to hatch them... I'm worried that its the wrong time of year & my little chickie really doesn't want to leave her mom... She's the smallest & on the bottom of the food chain... But mom went broody today & isn't getting up.... I have 4 production reds, 1 other Cochin, 1 Americana (I think it's called) & a big bad *** rooster named bubba who rules all! ... The other coop has mom & chickie... Should I let her try? Should I throw little chickie in with the flock? I let them run in the yard all day & she gets nipped at but bubba stops any major disputes... But at night when I close them up, where should chickie go?

Sorry, mom is in the top pic & chickie is the one in the hand... She was born first week of aug....

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly don't throw the little chick in with the rest of the flock until she is big enough to defend herself. And yes, you can let her try. Just make sure she isn't being bothered by the other chickens.

Good luck!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, chick needs to grow up more before being in with the big flock, I would leave the chick in the coop with her mother even if mom is broody. Not sure where the food/water for the flock is if they free range, but would put food and water in their coop also in case the chick doesn't want to go too far away.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X3 on TwoCrows and Kelsie2290's advice. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chick.

It isn't easy being a chick, is it? After mom hatches her new brood, maybe Chickie will be comfortable with them & try to mother them. That would give her some self confidence and maybe arouse some protective instincts in her . She needs all of that to be able to join the main flock some day. Good that the rooster protects her but, he will also see her as a bride and since she is very docile, she would be overbred.

We have 2 coops, small one for mom & chickie & a bigger one for the flock. I've got food & water in both areas & even a chicken fountain for the larger flock.. Love the fountain! During the day I've been letting them all loose in the yard with the coops wide open. So anyone can go into whatever coop they want but the majority of the birds are too big to get into where mom is brooding & this is where chickie hides. I'm afraid I let mom get too many eggs under her & she is a mean one when brooding, there is no touching her! There must be 10-12 eggs under her. & the rooster is already trying to dance for chickie but she is way to small for him (which is bad because he kinda likes them small, he has killed silkies with his love!)
Is it a prob letting her hatch the eggs this time of year? We live in tx & prob got about a month before it gets cold, will they survive? I wanted to keep mama as a broody hen so I didn't even think about the cold on chicks!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I agree with Mountain Peeps and Kelsie. You can't put this baby in with the flock yet. And don't let the rooster mate with the chick either. He could kill her. So you will need to either leave her with momma or keep her separate somewhere away from the flock. Mix her in when this next set of chicks is ready to go with the big flock.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom