Broody Cochins Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens, Mar 19, 2011.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Do standard Cochins go broody as often, and brood as well as bantam Cochins? I haven't had any luck finding bantam Cochin hatching eggs locally, but I have found standard. I am getting them to raise eggs from my laying flock, so broodiness is important. Thanks!

2. poultryluvr18

poultryluvr18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I couldn't tell you for sure, but I would say the bantams would be a better bet. But then again, would also think a regular Cochin would be a great mother!!

3. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I still haven't decided for sure... these standard Cochins are even the color I was wanting. But I would rather have broodies instead of the color I want! So I don't know. Maybe I should just try with shipped eggs again.

4. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    I can't keep my large buffs from setting. They lay a few eggs and then they are ready. Even when I keep eggs away from them to try to keep them laying.

5. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Been working with the Large Cochins for years and yes they are very broody!!! However, I only use them to set duck and goose eggs because they tend to break chicken eggs due to their weight. I do not recommend them for setting chicken eggs. If you are looking for a good broody bird that will set several eggs and be a good setter as well as mother I would recommend Sumatra hens, they will set for ever and are very good mothers. I used Sumatra hens as incubators before I bought cabinet incubators and one hen set for over 60 days straight, I hatched three clutches of eggs from her.

Bo Garrett

6. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Ok thanks! I am planning to hatch chicken eggs so I better stick to the bantams. Besides, they'll eat less lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by