Broody coturnix hen looking like a fluffy pancake

I'm hoping that I can provide something as good as that for my quail when I move out.

I, thankfully, haven't squashed 10 into a 1 foot by 1 foot enclosure. Not sure how big mine is in feet or cm either, but I've only got three and I'm pretty sure it's at least 3.5 by 3.5 feet including the second layer. I'll have to measure it later.

I can't make it natural, but I've tried to make hiding spots for them and done my best with the limited space I have.
View attachment 3595363View attachment 3595364View attachment 3595366View attachment 3595369View attachment 3595371View attachment 3595372View attachment 3595373View attachment 3595374
These are some of the naturally made nests that my hens have made, enjoy!
PXL_20230812_154916714.jpg
PXL_20230812_153738351.jpg
PXL_20230812_153733865.jpg
PXL_20230812_153533039.jpg
PXL_20230812_153422058.jpg

I'm planning on connecting a 100L storage container to my current cage and making it a more natural area.
How would I go about making it look more natural? You seem like you would be an expert on it! Your cages are amazing!
I by no means am i an expert (but I won't stop you from saying so). Anyways, what does it look like? I'd suggest a small layer of dirt about and inch or two and about 2 inches of children safe sand and it's also safe for birds. You can use plastic plants or take a risk on live plants. If you ever get an outdoor aviary I'd suggest getting dead trees and a hollow log big enough for them to hide in! Mine love hiding in the grass before the budgies ate it all. You could also use bushes or spruce trees because they tend to stay rather small and they'll provide plenty of cover. Sense you are getting a container I'd also suggest you make it a place you could give them mealworms or other insects so they get some more wild behavior. Using sand mixed with a smaller layer of dirt will allow them to dust bath but it won't go everywhere.

Last edited:
I by no means am i an expert (but I won't stop you from saying so). Anyways, what does it look like? I'd suggest a small layer of dirt about and inch or two and about 2 inches of children safe sand and it's also safe for birds. You can use plastic plants or take a risk on live plants. If you ever get an outdoor aviary I'd suggest getting dead trees and a hollow log big enough for them to hide in! Mine love hiding in the grass before the budgies ate it all. You could also use bushes or spruce trees because they tend to stay rather small and they'll provide plenty of cover. Sense you are getting a container I'd also suggest you make it a place you could give them mealworms or other insects so they get some more wild behavior. Using sand mixed with a smaller layer of dirt will allow them to dust bath but it won't go everywhere.
My parents have now decided they don't want to have a messy DIY cage, so they offered to pay for a new one if under $300.

Planning on getting this one, will your tips still apply?
PXL_20230815_021559088.jpg
PXL_20230815_021553409.jpg
PXL_20230815_021543870.jpg
PXL_20230815_021536319.jpg

My parents have now decided they don't want to have a messy DIY cage, so they offered to pay for a new one if under $300.

Planning on getting this one, will your tips still apply?View attachment 3609544View attachment 3609545View attachment 3609547View attachment 3609548
Sorry to hear you can't do a diy setup, I'd say some plastic plants and some plastic vines in the back would be great. Coturnix quail love feeling hidden and like nothing had it eye on them. I'd suggest you use pine needles as nesting material and chopped up dead vines without leaves. Mine love using that and they seem to really like using bits of dead grass and covering themselves. It also very good to add in a sand bathing area, so you should probably get some mesh or fabric to stop them from making mess.

Also if you have a 300$ budget, is just ask it I could make something actually outdoors. Something small but big enough to allow them to feel a breeze and trust me they will 100% sun bath if they are outside. I can show you some smaller low budget aviaries that your parents might be okay with.

Sorry to hear you can't do a diy setup, I'd say some plastic plants and some plastic vines in the back would be great. Coturnix quail love feeling hidden and like nothing had it eye on them. I'd suggest you use pine needles as nesting material and chopped up dead vines without leaves. Mine love using that and they seem to really like using bits of dead grass and covering themselves. It also very good to add in a sand bathing area, so you should probably get some mesh or fabric to stop them from making mess.
They already have a sand bath and LOVE it! It's so fun to see them play around in. I will add in lots of fake plants and hiding spots, one of those I might make look like a nest. Thanks for the advice!
Also if you have a 300$ budget, is just ask it I could make something actually outdoors. Something small but big enough to allow them to feel a breeze and trust me they will 100% sun bath if they are outside. I can show you some smaller low budget aviaries that your parents might be okay with.
I don't have a back or front yard 😅

Btw, how's your fluffy pancake going?

I do take one of my birds outside often, her name is George and she is harness trained. If the weather's nice I sometimes take her out to get some evening sun just before sunset. None of my other birds like the harness, so she's the only one I take out. I also sometimes move their cage to the lounge room for the day because it's really sunny in the morning.

They like sunbathing alot.

They already have a sand bath and LOVE it! It's so fun to see them play around in. I will add in lots of fake plants and hiding spots, one of those I might make look like a nest. Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a back or front yard 😅

Btw, how's your fluffy pancake going?
You're welcome! Pancake is doing great. She's been really interested in the nesting sites lately and I think she might be getting ready to lay, if she hasn't already. However if she's not in a nest she's hanging out with her friends the two diamond dove chicks that really seem to like her!

You're welcome! Pancake is doing great. She's been really interested in the nesting sites lately and I think she might be getting ready to lay, if she hasn't already. However if she's not in a nest she's hanging out with her friends the two diamond dove chicks that really seem to like her!
I'm going to try setting up some hidden nesting sites for my quail, I know they are unlikely to go broody, but I can at least try. Otherwise, they have a comfy spot to hang out!

Back
Top Bottom