Broody coturnix hen looking like a fluffy pancake

I do take one of my birds outside often, her name is George and she is harness trained. If the weather's nice I sometimes take her out to get some evening sun just before sunset. None of my other birds like the harness, so she's the only one I take out. I also sometimes move their cage to the lounge room for the day because it's really sunny in the morning.

They like sunbathing alot.
That's great, I've never hear of harness training quail before. It sounds fun, I might try that with Pancake when she gets a bit bigger. She's actually the only take one as far as hand feeding and petting goes. I'm so happy you can do things like that with your birds.

I'm going to try setting up some hidden nesting sites for my quail, I know they are unlikely to go broody, but I can at least try. Otherwise, they have a comfy spot to hang out!
Great, I'd suggest you get the same kinds of hidesthat people get for rabbits and log hides are one of the biggest ways I've seen quail go broody! But cardboard boxes do great as well!

That's great, I've never hear of harness training quail before. It sounds fun, I might try that with Pancake when she gets a bit bigger. She's actually the only take one as far as hand feeding and petting goes. I'm so happy you can do things like that with your birds.
Me too! George is slightly 'retarded' and was very reliant on me when she was younger. She has had multiple problems, and is extremely friendly because of the extra care and handling I give her.
She is my baby, and is extremely spoiled. Because of these problems she is permanently ruffled and fluffy, making me love her even more.

I'm planning on starting harness training with the eggs I'm hatching now at about 3 weeks, maybe another will take a liking to it and come on walks with George!

Me too! George is slightly 'retarded' and was very reliant on me when she was younger. She has had multiple problems, and is extremely friendly because of the extra care and handling I give her.
She is my baby, and is extremely spoiled. Because of these problems she is permanently ruffled and fluffy, making me love her even more.

I'm planning on starting harness training with the eggs I'm hatching now at about 3 weeks, maybe another will take a liking to it and come on walks with George!
Sad to know that she had problems, Pancake had some really bad rye neck and she was literally stuck in the hatching position. I had to hand feed and pray she lived. Sadly the other white chick didn't do so well and passed. Same with the little roo Milkshake, but he became a teenager and hates me lol. I hope that you can hatch with great success and you can have a harness trained army!

Sad to know that she had problems, Pancake had some really bad rye neck and she was literally stuck in the hatching position. I had to hand feed and pray she lived. Sadly the other white chick didn't do so well and passed. Same with the little roo Milkshake, but he became a teenager and hates me lol. I hope that you can hatch with great success and you can have a harness trained army!
I hope to walk an army of quail around Coogee someday!
The only problem is, Coogee is dog central. Lots of leadless dogs show a bit too much interest in George. I usually end up just picking her up, but I can't pick up 6 quail at once lol.

Glad to know pancake survived that! I don't think I'd be able to keep a quail like that alive. One of my quail loved me, then hated me while she was a 'teenager'. Now she's starting to become more friendly (when tempted with mealworms, of course)!

I hope to walk an army of quail around Coogee someday!
The only problem is, Coogee is dog central. Lots of leadless dogs show a bit too much interest in George. I usually end up just picking her up, but I can't pick up 6 quail at once lol.

Glad to know pancake survived that! I don't think I'd be able to keep a quail like that alive. One of my quail loved me, then hated me while she was a 'teenager'. Now she's starting to become more friendly (when tempted with mealworms, of course)!
Well hopefully you never have a "dog accident" that happened to my friend and his duck. May she rest in pieces. Pancake seems to only let me pick her up after I've given her offering. What breeds are you hatching.

Well hopefully you never have a "dog accident" that happened to my friend and his duck. May she rest in pieces. Pancake seems to only let me pick her up after I've given her offering. What breeds are you hatching.
I'm sorry about your friends duck. I do pick her up as soon as a dog gets too close, that's why I take her in the evening. Less people means less dogs.
George just lets me pick her up, while Hercules wants a peace offering. Spot lets you, but clearly doesn't like it.
I'm hatching jumbo coturnix. I think one will hatch in the next few hours, but the others could take another day or two. It's day 18, maybe my incubator was off a bit. The breeder sent me pictures of the eggs her pearls tend to lay, and it looks just like the one that pipped this morning! I'm really excited, hope I get a pearl 🤞
Still sitting on my hands.. it's getting harder by the minute!

I'm sorry about your friends duck. I do pick her up as soon as a dog gets too close, that's why I take her in the evening. Less people means less dogs.
George just lets me pick her up, while Hercules wants a peace offering. Spot lets you, but clearly doesn't like it.
I'm hatching jumbo coturnix. I think one will hatch in the next few hours, but the others could take another day or two. It's day 18, maybe my incubator was off a bit. The breeder sent me pictures of the eggs her pearls tend to lay, and it looks just like the one that pipped this morning! I'm really excited, hope I get a pearl 🤞
Still sitting on my hands.. it's getting harder by the minute!
Well, I hope you have a good hatch and I hope you get some pearls!

Can anyone please give me some help on this. So I'm planning on getting a female California quail for my male Captain Chirp, and the breeder said they are all females. I just want to be sure. Here's a picture
b786bc33-3b35-11ee-87b1-dd357fa4f9ef.jpeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom