Broody Coturnix hen(s)

Pics
Hi :frow I am really glad you started this thread, DH and I were just talking about expanding into quail. We already have chickens, were discussing how frequently quail go broody and what we would need to get started. I don't have a bator and have always hatched using a broody. I wish to continue with broodies. I am sorry I can't be much help to you, as I am just starting to amass info, but if you don't mind I have a question or two.
Are your male quails very loud? Do they crow like a rooster? Or is it a different sound? I am hoping to keep from having to buy hatching quail eggs to keep my flock going. But do not want the neighbors to complain. Thanks and good luck with your hatch, let us know in a few days how it goes. :lol:

Hi,
I hatch Jumbo Coturnix (wild brown) several times a year. I just love these little birds :) The male coturnix are really quiet up until about 8-10 weeks old, then puberty hits and they get noisy and overbreed the females. Around 6 weeks of age, you can look at the feathers to tell which is a hen and which is a rooster. I strongly recommend removing most of the roosters at that time (keep a ratio of 1 roo to 4 hens if you want to have fertile eggs). If you only have 1 rooster for every 4 hens, the roosters stay very quiet.
I can't tell you what to do with the roosters, but if you put them in a separate pen together, they will try to breed with each other and tear out a lot of feathers in the process.

Back
Top Bottom