Broody Coturnix hen

Just this morning ... and it seems, that she is taking good care. But it has to be constant. I need to watch it.

Funny... the one, which was sitting with her for three days, is sitting again with her 🙈

I was about to take her away, but a friend of mine told me then, that she had tree broody hens, sitting on 7 eggs together, hatched all 7 and all three were taking care 😂
So I leave them doing.

Just this morning ... and it seems, that she is taking good care. But it has to be constant. I need to watch it.

Funny... the one, which was sitting with her for three days, is sitting again with her 🙈

I was about to take her away, but a friend of mine told me then, that she had tree broody hens, sitting on 7 eggs together, hatched all 7 and all three were taking care 😂
So I leave them doing.
That sounds like good advice, at least that way if mama quail loses interest maybe her friend will step in as surrogate mum!
Keep us updated!

Bad news, ... one of the little ones didn’t make it.
Mom still tried to warm the dead body 😞 ... and mocked at me, while I was removing it, in the morning.

Nature-Breed is survival of the fittest. I need to keep that in mind.

My guess is about 4-5 chicks hatched, but impossible to tell how many are hidding under mom's and aunty's wings.

I will check and remove the remaining eggs and I will count the hatch, later.

I removed the eggs now and I was surprised, that only 3 hatched. I saw so many feet 🤔

A fourth one cracked the shell nearly open, but gave up then.
With the one, which didn't survived the first night, that leaves 2 chicks.

I candled the remaining eggs and 5 more were fertile and developed, but with the first chicks hatched, the moms left the nest too early. But under the circumstances they did great.

A very interessting thing is, that I am experience so many new sounds from my quails, so awesome.
All these calling, demanding and warning sounds ... all new for me 🙂

I removed the eggs now and I was surprised, that only 3 hatched. I saw so many feet 🤔

I candled the remaining eggs and 5 more were fertile and developed, but with the first chicks hatched, the moms left the nest too early. But under the circumstances they did great.

A very interessting thing is, that I am experience so many new sounds from my quails, so awesome.
Amazing! Well congratulations on your two successful chicks! Hopefully they continue to do well with mum and auntie watching over them :love So interesting that the adults are making new calls, would be great to hear them if you manage to catch them doing it!

I love the mommy baby sounds, they’re so sweet. My broody hatched 6 out of 10. She started with about 16, I took 4 away when I moved her inside, because I thought she had too many and couldn’t cover them. About a week into it, she pushed an egg out of the nest, since I had 10 blue eggs left and 1 normal, I removed the normal egg and the normal egg she had abandoned, and left a nest of 10 celadons. When hatching was done, she stayed on the nest trying to hatch the remainders, and would yell at her wandering chicks from the sidelines. I took the eggs away and candled, and they had all quit partway thru, it looked like she didn’t turn them enough maybe, they were all stuck on one side of the egg. I think any chicks at all is a real triumph. I gave mine a runt from an earlier hatch, and she loved him just like the rest. She knew he was different, even tho he was about the right size, he had a lot of feathers, and she would leave him to warm the siblings while she wandered with the adventurous one.

Tooooooo cute 😍 🥰

PSX_20210918_092124.jpg

Back
Top Bottom