Broody Coturnix hen

Fenrisulfr

Crowing
Mar 30, 2020
Germany
Hi folks, ... long time no see.
Got some bussy real life recently.

But I have something, I need to share. Of course as the title suggests, I got a broody Coturnix quail 😍 ... First time in 3.5 years.

:wee

20210819_065832.jpg

Here she sits, ... sorry for the pic quality, but I didn't wanna bother her with the flashlight.

And here the nest, ... the pic was shot on her daily roam for hunting the roo, yelling on each other hen, eating, drinking and getting back on the nest 🤣

20210820_172025.jpg

She is doing brave since a week. Hopefully she keeps up.
I am so excited.

I'll keep you updated 😃

I was able to get a better pic, while changing water and filling feed.
Brave little one 😍

20210823_155753.jpg

She is still doing fine 👍

I guess she's sitting about 10 days now, so 7 to 10 days to go ... maybe another 5 days tolerance for not knowing since when she is sitting constantly and also I read, that the natural breed can take 2-3 days longer, for more variable factors, than in artificial incubation ...
... crossing fingers :fl

She is still a brave expecting mother 🥰

20210829_084726.jpg

Meanwhile an other hen got broody and started sitting with her (including laying her own egg additional into the nest, which I removed). But she just kept up for about 3 days.

20210826_160615.jpg

... ok, this as update.

As far as my estimated guess is valid of her broodiness, it is now about "lock-down".

So getting real thrilled :wee

I hope the old roo is still fertile (he is over 2 years now). He is still doing his job, but I didn't check fetilization to not disturb her.
Would be a pitty wasting so much brave effort.
:fl

She is still a brave expecting mother 🥰

View attachment 2815303

Meanwhile an other hen got broody and started sitting with her (including laying her own egg additional into the nest, which I removed). But she just kept up for about 3 days.

View attachment 2815304

... ok, this as update.

As far as my estimated guess is valid of her broodiness, it is now about "lock-down".

So getting real thrilled :wee

I hope the old roo is still fertile (he is over 2 years now). He is still doing his job, but I didn't check fetilization to not disturb her.
Would be a pitty wasting so much brave effort.
:fl
Any updates? :love

Next Update.... as curiostity is killing me, I took the chance just a few moments ago, when she was doing her daily roam, and just grabbed and candled one egg as a sample: it is fertilized and developed 😃

I would say just before hatch, from the point of developement, roughly 14th to 16th day, so it will happen soon .... .
:wee

So excited :jumpy ....

Back
Top Bottom