Female Quail making distress call??

Dip Stick

Hatching
Oct 8, 2023
So I’m a bit lost and I’ll try my best to explain, I’m new to quail and wanna get into breeding, I have currently 4 button quail and I had 2 already from about 7-8 months ago that I started with and then bought 2 female buttons and 1 female coturnix, I keep them all in the same pen and everything was going fine, I actually had more problems on the first day with the 2 males I got that already had their home situated, were being territorial at first n now I’ve got all the buttons seperated but still let them around the big one while she stays in their main cage and I let them in to realize it’s more her home now n they gotta respect her, which is working great surprisingly, but my issue now is the female coturnix, idk if she’s lonely because she’s the only coturnix but there’s the buttons still, I planned to get a male eventually for her but I wonder if it’s maybe be a better idea to get her a partner now rather than waiting, she keeps making this super loud call all day n it almost seems to peak when she knows I’m around, and thing is she isn’t even alone ever, she’s always atleast got one button since I got 4, main reason I only have em seperated anymore isnt because of them giving my big girl problems they stopped doin that but one of the females has an injury and I know the coturnix is chill with her but the other female button stayed with the 2 boys and I even need a third container to seperate the less dominate boy because the bigger boy.. well idek, I’m starting to think he’s just gay lol I love him but it’s like he doesn’t even have interest in the 2 girls I just got him xD, this post is more about the coturnix, they’re slowly warming up to the female buttons and already chilled out with the coturnix but my coturnix is just making a lot of noise and I keep them inside my apartment, they’re not outdoors they have window access 24/7 but she does it constantly especially when I’m trying to sleep cause I sleep in the same room as her and again, she does this when I’m around it seems more than when I’m not, I go in the other room n she still does it but less, I’m wondering if maybe it’s just her or if she’s lookin for a friend cause she be staring at me whenever she does it

Your coturnix is lonely for her own kind. While buttons do well in pairs, a coturnix male needs at least 3 hens, and should have 5. If you just want to get a companion for her, get another hen.

Back
Top Bottom