Getting coturnix quail tomorrow! Got any tips?

clickbeetles

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2024
Getting coturnix quail tomorrow! Got any tips? Here’s the pictures i’ve been sent on facebook, she said there’s around 15ish quail! I’ll update tomorrow morning when I pick them up, I’m so excited!!!!

Attachments

• 4DFF9B0D-9748-4D34-A59D-1680CA690575.jpeg
    4DFF9B0D-9748-4D34-A59D-1680CA690575.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • FF96764C-73FA-4C51-8F43-EEE70216CB24.jpeg
    FF96764C-73FA-4C51-8F43-EEE70216CB24.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 14
Getting coturnix quail tomorrow! Got any tips? Here’s the pictures i’ve been sent on facebook, she said there’s around 15ish quail! I’ll update tomorrow morning when I pick them up, I’m so excited!!!!
That enclosure looks a bit small for 15ish quail. You might want to consider building something larger. Do you know how many males and females are included? To avoid overbreeding, it's best to have at least 4 hens (preferably 5) for each rooster. Also, make sure you have game bird crumbles for feed. Quail generally need higher protein levels than chicken.
Here's a good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...asics-information-and-pictures-galore.102281/

And, welcome to BYC.

That enclosure looks a bit small for 15ish quail. You might want to consider building something larger. Do you know how many males and females are included? To avoid overbreeding, it's best to have at least 4 hens (preferably 5) for each rooster. Also, make sure you have game bird crumbles for feed. Quail generally need higher protein levels than chicken.
Here's a good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...asics-information-and-pictures-galore.102281/

And, welcome to BYC.
There’s several of the same coops, not 15 in that one coop, sorry for miscommunication!

Excellent! It sounds like you did some research before you got them. :cool:
I did! I’ve been researching them for a week now, some lady just gave me all of hers!! I researched lethal genes and quail care, etc! I’m excited, I think I want to breed them and sell the babies at my local farmers market, since they’re so gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom