Broody duck questions~Update Post#5~Hatching!

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I have a Khaki Campbell duck that I *think* is going broody. She's made a little nest under a bush in the front yard, and laid one egg in it a few weeks ago. Since then she had been setting on that egg just sporadically, and still going back into the duck house with the others each night. Then a few days ago she's been holding back her daily egg, and instead of laying it in the duck house with the others she's been laying it in that nest in the front yard.

I am not sure if she knows what she's doing. She spends a lot of time in that nest, but goes back to the duck house at night. Last night she remained on the nest, but we were worried that she wouldn't be safe from predators, so we brought her & her 2 eggs back to the duck house. She didn't set on them there, but hurried back to the nest in the morning. I returned the eggs to her in the nest, she again spent time there during the day, but went back with her family to the duck house at night.

I've set a lot of broody hens before, but never a broody duck. Can I treat her the same as a broody hen? Move her & her eggs to a safe enclosed area after dark, once she seems ready to begin her set? Do they keep the same habits as broody hens, getting off the nest only once a day to eat/drink/make a big poop? Should I keep her confined in order to keep other hens away from her nest, or give her liberty to do her own duck business during the day?

Do Khakis make good setters & mothers? Or should I just try to discourage her from this idea? I have a bantam hen who just hatched out 4 ducklings, so I really don't need a duck to incubate eggs, but I'd like to give her the opportunity. Just as long as I can keep her safe & content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Khakis usually do not go broody, but it is not unheard of. If she goes into a good brood then she will only get off the nest for short periods during the day. Sounds like she didn't take to the idea of her nest being moved, but if that's what's necessary to protect her you should keep trying. If you can let her free range until the hatch and then somehow close off the nest area, that would be ideal. Sometimes there are problems with the other ducks sharing the nest, but not always, so just watch. When they hatch sometimes other hens or especially drakes might attack the duckling when they are very little.

When she is broody she wont leave the nest! atleast mine wont. So i put food and water right next to her and i fenced her in right where she was at. i didnt move her. O and by the way, i put food next to her but she doesnt always eat. I go out everyday to check on her cause she nested in a weird spot, and there are times where i will only have to feed her every 4 to 5 days cause she wont move 6 inches to eat.lol.. i dont know if i would move her but i guess you would have to use your own jusdgment on that one, go by the way she acts. If you move her she may just leave the eggs.... good luck and keep us updated!
smile.png

On the night of 6/25 we wrapped 3' wire fencing around the bush, leaving an opening near the nest. The next morning Blossom went right back there after being released from her house. I took 5 fresh duck eggs and added them to the clutch under her. She's been sitting rather faithfully ever since, though she does get up for coffee breaks at least once a day. I don't know if the original set of eggs will hatch, so I'm hoping that at least the 5 fresh ones will.

We keep dishes of food & water nearby, and at night I bring in the food dish so predators aren't even more attracted to the area. We also stretch the wire fencing at night to cover the opening we leave during the day, for her to get out for her breaks.

So I guess we watch & wait until 7/23? She seems serious about her job, when you get near the nest she hisses at you. Please pray for Blossom & her egglings, for protection & success!

Today is Day 28. When we got home from our errands late this afternoon I went to check on Blossom and heard peeping and saw at least one fuzzy lil' ducky face looking out from under her! Blossom is acting like a good, protective Mama duck, puffing her feathers & hissing at us when we come near. I saw more eggs under her & didn't want to disturb her any more.

But I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning, to see how many more might have hatched! Hooray for Blossom!

Back
Top Bottom