Broody Duck

HomesteadofCao

Songster
Nov 12, 2019
My duck has been sitting on her eggs for a week and she is broody but she built a nest of her own but she leaves her nest very often and also only sit on them in the morning some afternoon and not at night? Is that normal? Should I just not let her sit on them? I do not see any growth in the eggs so I assume she killed them by leaving so many times.

My duck has been sitting on her eggs for a week and she is broody but she built a nest of her own but she leaves her nest very often and also only sit on them in the morning some afternoon and not at night? Is that normal? Should I just not let her sit on them? I do not see any growth in the eggs so I assume she killed them by leaving so many times.
Are you positive she is done laying eggs? It is not uncommon for ducks, chicken/etc. to sit on the nest part-time before fully going broody with the last egg laid. If you're sure she is done laying the eggs could be put in an incubator. The eggs would not start developing if they weren't brooded at night and most of the day.

Are you positive she is done laying eggs? It is not uncommon for ducks, chicken/etc. to sit on the nest part-time before fully going broody with the last egg laid. If you're sure she is done laying the eggs could be put in an incubator. The eggs would not start developing if they weren't brooded at night and most of the day.
There are 23 eggs in the nest and it was overfilling and they started laying in different spots so I took them all out and left 4 in there.

There are 23 eggs in the nest and it was overfilling and they started laying in different spots so I took them all out and left 4 in there.
She hasn't been laying for almost 2 months but all her other buddies are laying and she has been sitting on them. She is a Welsh Harlequin mixed Pekin.

Back
Top Bottom