Broody Duck

Okay y’all. I candled the eggs under my chicken. 4 of them so far look like they have an embryo and veins. Before it was just veins, now it’s like a darker blob with veins. I had 2 eggs a hen snuck in and I felt goofy looking at not realizing they were chicken eggs. It was dark though haha.

It’s way harder to candle the ones under my harlequins. The chickens are so much chiller at night. I use to laugh when people said a duck would bite them. Now I know the pain hah. My Welsh will get off the nest when I first let them out and I try and run over and count the eggs.

Last edited:
One of the eggs broke under the duck. I assumed it probably will not hatched. I cracked it open out of curiosity, and there was a developing duckling! Sucks the egg broke, hopefully there are some more babies in there. I think next time I decide to hatch something I will get an incubator. This is more stressful than just letting a bird sit on eggs! Lots to do and worry about!

I have 4 currently. The one in front doesn’t seem as alert and active as the others.
42F01D29-9DAD-4F64-949E-45527459979E.jpeg

It was the first to hatch. It passed away. I have a waterer with save a chick in it. Another one hatched. All 4 seem to be doing great!

Back
Top Bottom