Broody Duck

dustin1025

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
I have a Welsh Harlequin who is probably a little over a year old. I always collect my eggs daily, and yesterday I had someone put them up for me not thinking to mention grabbing the eggs. Today, I go out and she is sitting on all the eggs. I have 12 ducks and 2 drakes. They free range and only sleep in the coop. It’s a good size and all have plenty of room. If she continues to sit would they coop be too stressful? I would imagine once they got close to hatching she would need to be in a safe area with the babies? Thanks for any advice!

Do you want more ducks should be the first question, if not take the eggs, nothing has begun in them yet.
If you don't mind having more ducks then you'll have to mark her eggs so if anyone adds as the days progress you can take out the newly laid eggs. [the others will love to add to the nest] I just use a maker and make an X on the egg so I know my broodies from the others.
Your drakes may want to continue to mate with her even though she is sitting so you may end up having to place her in another area or make an area inside your coop for her and ducklings that way you are all set for when they hatch. I usually give my mamas a week or more by themselves with their ducklings/chicks where everyone can see them but no one has access. That gives the babies time to get stronger and also gives everyone time to get use to new arrivals.

Do you want more ducks should be the first question, if not take the eggs, nothing has begun in them yet.
If you don't mind having more ducks then you'll have to mark her eggs so if anyone adds as the days progress you can take out the newly laid eggs. [the others will love to add to the nest] I just use a maker and make an X on the egg so I know my broodies from the others.
Your drakes may want to continue to mate with her even though she is sitting so you may end up having to place her in another area or make an area inside your coop for her and ducklings that way you are all set for when they hatch. I usually give my mamas a week or more by themselves with their ducklings/chicks where everyone can see them but no one has access. That gives the babies time to get stronger and also gives everyone time to get use to new arrivals.
Thank you Ms. Lydia! Would a sharpie be fine or could it be dangerous? I do want a few more female ducks, and would have a plan for any drakes. I had a pullet coop I was going to put her in, but my chicks will need it soon. Just want to make sure she isn’t stressed or the other ducks will attack the babies.

This is what I set up for my Muscovy and her ducklings last year. The lattice has plastic fencing stapled so the ducklings couldn’t get through. Worked great for when everyone came in for the night. The other picture was set up mom had taller container with hole for her to wash off her bill the ducklings had shorter container with 2 holes
0F675DF2-EA2F-4895-A79E-CDD16455095F.jpeg
cut so they couldn’t climb in. I found a broiler pan at Goodwill that I put a pee pad over to protect their feet and catch water.
AE9A954D-BAF3-439C-AAA0-3B7844491827.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Ms. Lydia! Would a sharpie be fine or could it be dangerous? I do want a few more female ducks, and would have a plan for any drakes. I had a pullet coop I was going to put her in, but my chicks will need it soon. Just want to make sure she isn’t stressed or the other ducks will attack the babies.
I have a large dog crate. The weather is getting warm here. Could I make a nesting box with a top in the crate for her and the eggs? I would zip tie some wire on the sides to make sure she is safe. There would also be enough room for a bucket of water and feed.

A sharpie is fine that is what I use and just a small mark on the egg so you can tell hers from someone else's. That would be fine for a nest. I wouldn't move her until hatch is over. What I do once everyone is out for the day, the coop is mama ducks and ducklings that way she can move around if she wants too. Then before everyone is allowed back in for the night mama and ducklings go back into their safe space.

I just kept adding fresh bedding periodically her eggs didn't get very dirty because she came out and bathed daily to keep up the humidity and she didn't poop in her nest. That's why you want her to be able to leave her nest daily so she can poop outside. My Muscovy had alot of their feathers added to their nest also.

I just kept adding fresh bedding periodically her eggs didn't get very dirty because she came out and bathed daily to keep up the humidity and she didn't poop in her nest. That's why you want her to be able to leave her nest daily so she can poop outside. My Muscovy had alot of their feathers added to their nest also.
Thanks again for all your help!

Okay y’all. I candled the eggs under my chicken. 4 of them so far look like they have an embryo and veins. Before it was just veins, now it’s like a darker blob with veins. I had 2 eggs a hen snuck in and I felt goofy looking at not realizing they were chicken eggs. It was dark though haha.

It’s way harder to candle the ones under my harlequins. The chickens are so much chiller at night. I use to laugh when people said a duck would bite them. Now I know the pain hah. My Welsh will get off the nest when I first let them out and I try and run over and count the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom