Broody Duck

It's contagious that's for sure.
Right before hatch I move nest box with mama chicken into the same set up I do for my ducks. Gives mama protection and gives her time to bond with her chicks, I can relate about broodies I have 3 Bantam cochin broody [I have 2 rooster one is too old and isn't fertile the other is too tiny to bred so no fertile eggs] and 2 Muscovy that are broody, I don't let them hatch because I have 3 drakes and don't need any more.
Your broody chicken must be large to sit on 8 duck eggs.

It's contagious that's for sure.
Right before hatch I move nest box with mama chicken into the same set up I do for my ducks. Gives mama protection and gives her time to bond with her chicks, I can relate about broodies I have 3 Bantam cochin broody [I have 2 rooster one is too old and isn't fertile the other is too tiny to bred so no fertile eggs] and 2 Muscovy that are broody, I don't let them hatch because I have 3 drakes and don't need any more.
Your broody chicken must be large to sit on 8 duck eggs.
She’s a RIR. I am surprised she is broody. I only see her get off the nest for a little bit in the evening. I didn’t know how many eggs to place. The 8 all fit under her. Thanks!

Okay y’all. I just candled a few of the eggs under the chicken for curiosity. The first I think a dud the other two I can see veins and development! Going to wait a little before taking eggs away.

I'll be following your progress, would love it if you could keep us updated! I have a broody WH, noticed her brooding on the 4th, she may have started the day before though.

I have 4 currently. The one in front doesn’t seem as alert and active as the others.
42F01D29-9DAD-4F64-949E-45527459979E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom