Broody duck

Jaxsmitty11

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2022
So my duck bubbles has been broody for a long time. Our female goose was super excited too. Would sit on the eggs while she was out eating or having a quick swim, but all the fertilized eggs kept dying so I grabbed one and put it in the incubator and hatched it out for her. The whole flock was super excited. The geese stood guard when I went to check on momma and baby. The next day I went out and checked out and the baby was out running around and mom was still on the nest. I thought the little duck was just being curious so I put it back in with momma. Not long after the duck was out and our male goose was hissing at it and so I called it child neglect and took it in the house. Now the flock is being mean to her. Is this normal behavior? Should I bring the duckling out again? Will it pass? I feel really bad for her. Sorry for the super long post I just wanted to tell the whole story

So my duck bubbles has been broody for a long time. Our female goose was super excited too. Would sit on the eggs while she was out eating or having a quick swim, but all the fertilized eggs kept dying so I grabbed one and put it in the incubator and hatched it out for her. The whole flock was super excited. The geese stood guard when I went to check on momma and baby. The next day I went out and checked out and the baby was out running around and mom was still on the nest. I thought the little duck was just being curious so I put it back in with momma. Not long after the duck was out and our male goose was hissing at it and so I called it child neglect and took it in the house. Now the flock is being mean to her. Is this normal behavior? Should I bring the duckling out again? Will it pass? I feel really bad for her. Sorry for the super long post I just wanted to tell the whole story
Thats interesting. I've never had that happen. Maybe they realized that it wasn't apart of their flock since you had hatched it? That is really odd behavior.
@Miss Lydia

Your mama duck is sitting on eggs still? any of them going to hatch? If she is still sitting on viable eggs you can try placing fencing etc around her to protect her and any ducklings that hatch. As for the one you have inside she probably doesn't see that duckling as hers
Mama goose might adopt the little one though.

I had this happen. We protected the baby & he learned by the bigger ducks. As long as eggs are still in nest, momma will sit. If it's 10 days past hatching time, I doubt eggs will hatch. When she goes for her daily walk, best too remove eggs, but doubtful she will mother the line baby. Sorry....😔

Back
Top Bottom