Broody Easter Egger?

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 14 month old EE who I think may be going broody. Sunday night she roosted with her sister, last night I got home from work around 8pm and she was in the nest box, it was still fairly light out so I thought she may be laying late, I went around to check under her and she had laid her egg already. I left her there thinking she would get out soon, but when I went to lock them up around 9:30pm she was still in the box. I took her out and set her on the ground, she seemed confused at first but then started pecking around. I took her and put her in the coop and went back in the house.
This morning when I went to unlock them she came outside but I noticed she came from the nest box. She was out all morning before I went to work. I checked on them (via security camera) later in the morning and she was still out with her sister. I checked on her several more times through the day starting in the afternoon and she was no where to be seen outside. When I got home tonight, again at 8pm, she was in the nest box. She had not laid egg today. I took her back out and she went around happily eating grass, went in and out of the run eating some crumbles, had some dried grubs and pecking around. But after about 10-15 minutes, right back in the coop in the nest box. I just went down to lock them up and she was still in the nest box. i took her out and placed her on the roost with her sister, she was standing there grooming a bit when I walked away but I got the feeling she was inching closer to the nest box.
Does it sound like broodiness? I have no experience with this as if yet. As a side note, I re-homed my rooster last Wednesday, in case his absence/change in flock dynamic could be effecting anything

I have a 14 month old EE who I think may be going broody. Sunday night she roosted with her sister, last night I got home from work around 8pm and she was in the nest box, it was still fairly light out so I thought she may be laying late, I went around to check under her and she had laid her egg already. I left her there thinking she would get out soon, but when I went to lock them up around 9:30pm she was still in the box. I took her out and set her on the ground, she seemed confused at first but then started pecking around. I took her and put her in the coop and went back in the house.
This morning when I went to unlock them she came outside but I noticed she came from the nest box. She was out all morning before I went to work. I checked on them (via security camera) later in the morning and she was still out with her sister. I checked on her several more times through the day starting in the afternoon and she was no where to be seen outside. When I got home tonight, again at 8pm, she was in the nest box. She had not laid egg today. I took her back out and she went around happily eating grass, went in and out of the run eating some crumbles, had some dried grubs and pecking around. But after about 10-15 minutes, right back in the coop in the nest box. I just went down to lock them up and she was still in the nest box. i took her out and placed her on the roost with her sister, she was standing there grooming a bit when I walked away but I got the feeling she was inching closer to the nest box.
Does it sound like broodiness? I have no experience with this as if yet. As a side note, I re-homed my rooster last Wednesday, in case his absence/change in flock dynamic could be effecting anything
Does she growl? Puff up? Sounds like she is broody...

She's not there yet but she's thinking about it.

Sounds like she is thinking about it.
I don’t do the broody jail, I just keep removing them from the nesting box whenever I am in the coop. It takes longer to break them but it works for me.
Good luck with the broody jail, hopefully she breaks soon.
I work such long hours, I'm not here to take her out often enough. I'll be around tomorrow but might have to resort to jail on Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom