Broody has broken egg open and chick inside is breathing

A picture of hope and her Silkie friend

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 11
All the chicks cry at bed time until I come and sing them a song and then they all pile up as close as they can get to my side of the cage and stare at me singing until they fall asleep. They all let me put my hand in and give them little scratches this morning without running away. I think I’m their mama. 😂
That is the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard! ❤️

What is Hope? (Breed)
I’m not exactly sure, judging by her markings I think her father is our head rooster who is a Barnevelder. Her mum is likely one of our Isa browns looking at the egg colour. There are four other chicks to another mother hen who all look the same as each other and I’d say are all this same mix. Their colouring is much more distinct and neat but I think Hope still might be this mix as well. All our hens and roosters free range the whole property so it could be any mix of breeds. If I had to guess I’d say hope was going to be a hen though which is great. I’ll obviously keep her even if she ends up being a he. We are yet to give away a rooster so I’m really hoping for hens in this bunch because we are pretty maxed out with our boys. Luckily none of the boys we have are aggressive towards each other so it all works so far. I’m considering just starting a new flock on the opposite side of the property with al these new chicks so we can keep them all and just add a few extra hens. Don’t know how well that would work but I get so attached and don’t like the idea of the boys not having the same fate as the girls. They are all my babies 😊🤷🏼‍♀️

Hope is still doing well, I didn’t worry about her at all yesterday. Woke up this morning to a pasty butt though so just cleaned that off and now am worried she could have gotten a chill. I only had her out for maybe two minutes but had to soak her bottom to get it off. I towel dried her off and put her back under the heat lamp with slightly damp bottom feathers. I’ve just been googling this for the last half hour and wondering if I should have gotten out the hair dryer. It’s 95 under her heat lamp and the air temp is probably about 85. She’s up running around drinking with the others so hoping that means she’s happy enough. She looks dry again now that I’m looking at her.
Other than that, she’s doing great, catching up in size to the others, there are two silkies in with her so she is as big as them even though they are a week older. I can tell she’s made friends with one of them. All the chicks cry at bed time until I come and sing them a song and then they all pile up as close as they can get to my side of the cage and stare at me singing until they fall asleep. They all let me put my hand in and give them little scratches this morning without running away. I think I’m their mama. 😂
This is so amazing! I wouldn't worry to much about the patsy butt, It can be caused by stress as well, it sounds like your temperature is correct, and she has a cool spot to escape to so don't worry to much. Just keep on top of it if it continues. I had some TSC chicks I purchased for a lone chick. They had it when I got them and kept getting it until they were a few weeks old.

I am so so glad she's doing so great! The singing is really amazing, how cute! Congratulations on this lovely little flock, what an amazing come back story for sweet Hope.

I’m not exactly sure, judging by her markings I think her father is our head rooster who is a Barnevelder. Her mum is likely one of our Isa browns looking at the egg colour. There are four other chicks to another mother hen who all look the same as each other and I’d say are all this same mix. Their colouring is much more distinct and neat but I think Hope still might be this mix as well. All our hens and roosters free range the whole property so it could be any mix of breeds. If I had to guess I’d say hope was going to be a hen though which is great. I’ll obviously keep her even if she ends up being a he. We are yet to give away a rooster so I’m really hoping for hens in this bunch because we are pretty maxed out with our boys. Luckily none of the boys we have are aggressive towards each other so it all works so far. I’m considering just starting a new flock on the opposite side of the property with al these new chicks so we can keep them all and just add a few extra hens. Don’t know how well that would work but I get so attached and don’t like the idea of the boys not having the same fate as the girls. They are all my babies 😊🤷🏼‍♀️
Well I look forward to being kept updated with her progress 🤗

Awwww 🤗 ya she will catch up to that silkie fast! I have a fondness for silkies, have a few silkie hens here awesome little gals 🤗 hope your silkies r hens they r awesome mamas!
I’ve been wanting Silkies since we started keeping chickens so I’m excited to finally have some. If I had to guess I’d say one is a hen and one is a rooster. I know you aren’t supposed to be able to tell at this age but it’s just the vibe I’m getting. Only time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom