Broody has only one viable egg and its peeping.... please advise!!!

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
We were luckily incubating 12 eggs when our barred rock went broody. This is our first time with a broody hen. I put 6 eggs under her on day 7, and 4 more on day 18. Today is day 20. Yesterday when my hubby came home from work, he went to check on her ,and there was a dead chick laying next to her. Then today, nothing. I just went out to candle, (really quick!) and she has ONE viable egg from what I could tell. AND ITS PEEPING inside the egg!! Now what? Do you think it will hatch? And just how do they pip and zip and hatch without suffocating under her? If it does hatch, and is ok? how will she take care of it? I mean, do they take care of their babies? Did I make a mistake, by taking it out from under her for a second or two? Thanks! I'm really nervous!!!!

I have two hens trying to take care of one chick so don't worry. If it's meant to be it will be. Have patience.
hugs.gif

It'll be fine. Chickens have been raising chickens for longer than people have.

Quote:
yep, let mamma do her work. Sometimes mamma kills a baby, or abandons it. But that chick simply wasnt meant to be then, as cruel as it sounds
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom