Broody hatch/hen question

fran35

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Hey everyone
I have a few questions I was hoping for an answer to. I have a broody hen sitting on about 10 eggs. She is in our coop on the second level nesting boxes. She is just wrapping up day 17. My questions:

1.. Seeing as the nest is about 3 feet off of the floor, should I consider moving the hen now, or wait until they hatch out and then move her to her private quarters?

2. The private quarters I have set for her after hatch is an old rabbit hutch. Seeing as it is summer and the chicks will be with the broody, do I need any type of heat lamp?

3. What is the recommended watering method for new chicks? I have heard a tray, but some also use the hamster/gerbil water bottles that hang from the wall. Any advice?

4. Finally, the eggs are a mixed bunch. There are one or two bantams there. Is it safe to have batnams with the full size chicks?

thanks much

1) I would move her after the chicks hatch. You may want to screen off the nestbox so that chicks can not jump out.
2) The hen will be an adequate source of warmth for the chicks.
3) I would start with a small dish containing pebbles or marbles and then move up to a water bottle when the chicks are larger.
4) Bantams raised with standards present far less of a problem than trying to introduce bantams to a standard flock.

welcome-byc.gif
and enjoy a good hatch.

I agree with the previous post!
I keep my broody in a rabbit hutch at around day 20, simply because she likes the smaller enclosure better (it's indoors) and our big coop isn't as "chick" friendly. I have learned the hard way that some of my hens make good broodies, but not so great mothers after the chicks hatch.
I also set up a separate brooder, with the headlamp, shavings, water, etc. ready--- just in case there are some special needs hatchlings or things just don't go as smoothly as I predicted. This technique has made all the difference in the world & cuts down on a lot of the stress of dealing with the chicks, since everything is all set up & ready to go. Hopefully the broody will do her job perfectly, but it's nice to have an alternative set up.
As far as the water goes, use both a rabbit bottle waterer & a bowl with marbles in it. Some of the chicks are just more inclined to use the bowl, others the bottle. I have had some chicks start to use the bottle on day 2! Cuts down on the mess significantly.

Back
Top Bottom