Broody hatch.

stm_96

Songster
Sep 27, 2018
I have eggs under a broody and tomorrow will make day 18, i was wondering, do babies hatch out earlier with a broody?

No, a broody does not mean they will hatch earlier; but since hens lay one egg a day dating can be difficult and "premature" or "early" chicks may be in fact at the right date of hatching. Good luck with your hatch!

If it's a hen or incubator doing the incubation process, the typical hatch date is generally day 21. Sometimes it may be a couple of days before or after the normal hatch date. If the eggs that are currently being incubated belong to one hen, the eggs will not hatch on the same day but one will hatch every following day or so, since egg laying occurs over once every 24 hours.

The eggs were set on the same so they should hatch the same time. I candled them earlier and the air cells are big! Thats why i was wondering if they would or could hatch earlier the air cells are drawing down. Its day 17 today.

Yes, they could hatch 'early'.
Did they @stm_1996 ?
Not today that I've seen, i lifted her up just a tad just to look and didn't see any pips or anything on the side i was looking at!
Also, is it normal for a rooster to hang out with a broody? My naked neck rooster goes in the box with her and lays down and hangs out there with her!

He was laying down but stood when i walked up.
20190113_133011.jpg

Not today that I've seen, i lifted her up just a tad just to look and didn't see any pips or anything on the side i was looking at!
Also, is it normal for a rooster to hang out with a broody? My naked neck rooster goes in the box with her and lays down and hangs out there with her!
I don't think it's common, but not unprecedented...as long as he is being calm and mama doesn't object, it's pretty cool.

I don't think it's common, but not unprecedented...as long as he is being calm and mama doesn't object, it's pretty cool.
She seems okay when he's in there, I catch him in there A LOT, sometimes i don't even know he's in there until i come in and check their water and food and he comes running out the box! I never hear her making any noises when he's in there but she starts making sounds if she even sees me walk by!

She seems okay when he's in there, I catch him in there A LOT, sometimes i don't even know he's in there until i come in and check their water and food and he comes running out the box! I never hear her making any noises when he's in there but she starts making sounds if she even sees me walk by!
Probably fine then...just keep an eye out like you would any broody hatching.

You might find this an interesting read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-look-for-in-a-broody-rooster.882368/

Back
Top Bottom