Broody Hatchalong!

Well, only a few hours in, and we already ran into our first problem! She hopped off the nest to get something to drink, and when she came back in Fudge sat down on the first egg she saw. I was able to pull her off, and she settled back onto her eggs, but this may be a problem. I'm homeschooled, so I'll be at home, and able to check on her frequently to make sure she's where she's supposed to be, but can the eggs get hurt if she leaves them for too long?

Well, only a few hours in, and we already ran into our first problem! She hopped off the nest to get something to drink, and when she came back in Fudge sat down on the first egg she saw. I was able to pull her off, and she settled back onto her eggs, but this may be a problem. I'm homeschooled, so I'll be at home, and able to check on her frequently to make sure she's where she's supposed to be, but can the eggs get hurt if she leaves them for too long?
It depends on how long. I'm homeschool too so I'll be able to keep a close eye on Ivy!

Ivy is being good.
She has straw on her face. 🤣
20210316_124357.jpg

Another question/comment for anyone still online :lol::

I just went outside to check again and now my Black Australorp is sitting on the eggs!! Big Bertha is walking around outside eating bugs and Eddie is just guarding the nesting box! Is this normal for chickens to "take turns" or are they all just trying out broodiness. I wanted to see if she was just laying another egg on top of them all but I took an egg from the nesting box over and she quickly scooped it underneath her and puffed her feathers over it. She was also giving me some light growls.

I just went outside to check again and now my Black Australorp is sitting on the eggs!! Big Bertha is walking around outside eating bugs and Eddie is just guarding the nesting box! Is this normal for chickens to "take turns" or are they all just trying out broodiness. I wanted to see if she was just laying another egg on top of them all but I took an egg from the nesting box over and she quickly scooped it underneath her and puffed her feathers over it. She was also giving me some light growls.
Sorry, I said Eddie but never said who Eddie is:lol:. She's my Buff Orpington I first saw setting.

Broodiness is contagious. 🤣
It really is though. They might all go broody. I would try separating one of them with a clutch of eggs, and see what happens.

Broodiness is contagious. 🤣
It really is though. They might all go broody. I would try separating one of them with a clutch of eggs, and see what happens.
Thats amazing! I had no idea! I think I will go ahead and put the Buff Orpington in my smaller chicken tractor (empty right now) with some eggs and if she sits on them I will just let her and take the eggs from the other hens.

Thats amazing! I had no idea! I think I will go ahead and put the Buff Orpington in my smaller chicken tractor (empty right now) with some eggs and if she sits on them I will just let her and take the eggs from the other hens.
Perfect! Yep, it is. I am confident that if I put my BLRW in with her broody daughter, that she would go full on broody in under a day.
That's what I did with Ivy, and surprisingly it worked!

Back
Top Bottom