Broody Hatchalong!

Just went out to check. The one I had to help is looking great! The one that hatched yesterday is walking pretty good now too. The last maran egg looked to be zipping! The brightest egg though has not pipped yet so I don't know how thats gonna go. May be a late quitter. But I realized one of these guys looks kind of cool and a lot different anyone seen any that look similar to this? It came from a EE/BlackOE so it could look like anything 😂. Its got a lot of blue on its back though.
chick1.jpg

Sorry to piggy back on this thread but hoping for a bit of help. Broody hen hatched a couple eggs and is no longer sitting regularly on the last egg. The egg is chirping at me! It's got it's first crack but that's all. I took the egg out and put under a heat lamp because mama hen seemed to have no interest in sitting on it. Was that the right thing to do? Should I put it back and let nature take its course?

Sorry to piggy back on this thread but hoping for a bit of help. Broody hen hatched a couple eggs and is no longer sitting regularly on the last egg. The egg is chirping at me! It's got it's first crack but that's all. I took the egg out and put under a heat lamp because mama hen seemed to have no interest in sitting on it. Was that the right thing to do? Should I put it back and let nature take its course?
Sorry I was out at the coop! What day is the egg on? Did she take all the other chicks with her? Could she just be taking a break?

And no need to be sorry thats this is exactly what hatch a longs are for!!

Unfortunately, no clue on what day it is. We noticed the hen was broody probably 2 or 3 days into it. We decided to take two freshly laid eggs from our other hen (coop is only 2 hens and 1 roo) and stick those under her butt. Those were actually the viable fertilized eggs (per candle lighting or whatever you call it lol). One hatched this past Saturday morning. We figured the other one just wasn't viable and not wanting to lose the opportunity we bought a few day old chicks from rural king and added them (seamlessly I might add) to the mother hens bunch. NOW this egg we had given up on, is chirping! Mama hen has her talons full with the other 5 and is kicking up bedding all around her in-between nestling the babies, so I'm not sure if she's done sitting or not. Will the egg be okay left unattended? I didn't want to chance it and put it under a heat lamp with a thermometer in a small box. Egg is still chirping away....should I hatch it in the box or give it back to mama?

**this is the first time we've hatched and a bit unexpected. With only 2 hens and 1 roo we didn't think it was really gonna ever happen but we have been wanting so bad to expand our flock for a while now**

Unfortunately, no clue on what day it is. We noticed the hen was broody probably 2 or 3 days into it. We decided to take two freshly laid eggs from our other hen (coop is only 2 hens and 1 roo) and stick those under her butt. Those were actually the viable fertilized eggs (per candle lighting or whatever you call it lol). One hatched this past Saturday morning. We figured the other one just wasn't viable and not wanting to lose the opportunity we bought a few day old chicks from rural king and added them (seamlessly I might add) to the mother hens bunch. NOW this egg we had given up on, is chirping! Mama hen has her talons full with the other 5 and is kicking up bedding all around her in-between nestling the babies, so I'm not sure if she's done sitting or not. Will the egg be okay left unattended? I didn't want to chance it and put it under a heat lamp with a thermometer in a small box. Egg is still chirping away....should I hatch it in the box or give it back to mama?

**this is the first time we've hatched and a bit unexpected. With only 2 hens and 1 roo we didn't think it was really gonna ever happen but we have been wanting so bad to expand our flock for a while now**
Oh okay, if its chirping it means it has internally pipped though. Has it externally pipped? Is your hen ever returning to the nest. If she will take the egg back then let her but other wise keep it warm and humid. You may have to speed things up a bit. I think you should make an emergency hole though just to be sure. Heres a link to assisted hatching. just start with the emergency hole and then keep it warm and humid still. maybe even spritz it with a little hot water now and then.

Back
Top Bottom