Broody help

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
One of my 11 month old BO's went broody a few days after we set eggs in the incubator. We tried to break her, but she was stubborn, so we decided to let her sit on fake eggs, and we'd put the incubator chicks under her at hatch. We'll, it's hatch day. Last night, we moved her and her nest box to the quarentine area of our run. She acted like she broke her brood instantly. She got up, for the first time in two weeks, ate, drank, and wouldn't sit on the eggs again. After 30 minutes of clucking and pecking to get out of the quarentine area, I opened the door and she went and roosted with the flock. I have the brooder set up, but this morning she went back and is sitting on the eggs again.

Can I trust her to take the chicks tonight? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask, as I don't have much experience with a broody. Thanks.

Leave her set where she is. In most instances (in my experience) hens are as imprinted on the nest site as on the eggs. Put the chicks under her tonight so that she can bond with them over night. Monitor closely. Hopefully all will go well. The closer a hen has been setting to 21 days the greater the chance she will foster chicks. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom