Broody Help

dfchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
NC
I am on my second broody this year. She has been under the goat shack for the past 2 or 3 weeks, i cannot remember. We pulled her out yesterday along with her eggs. We seemed to forget that there was another chicken that lays her eggs under there because that is what the broody is sitting on. She laid one of her eggs, and every day for the past 2-3 weeks she has been stealing the other chickens eggs. I managed to candle them last night and there are about 20 eggs, and naturally they are all at different stages of development. i know that once her eggs start hatching she will abandon the nest, I guess at that point i can throw the rest of the eggs in the incubator and hope they hatch. The tricky part will be figuring out when to stop turning and increase humidity. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Why didn;t you leave them under her? I always seperate my broody hens NOW after that happened to me too, with the different stages of development.

She still has all then eggs. We were going to move her the first night, but our dog got hit by a car so we were kind of frantic for that week. So we just left her, figured she was getting close now and moved her. Next time we will make it a point to pull one as soon as it happens.​

Back
Top Bottom