Is this broodiness? Pullet

Montymoo

Songster
Sep 17, 2023
My 8 month old golden cuckoo marans has been very moody the past week. Grumbling about everything to everyone, yelling, growling and just being a general diva.
The past 3 days I’ve had to go out and take her off the nest because she will sit there for hours, even if it’s only fake eggs under her. If she’s already laid, she will stay in the run but is not a happy camper. And we don’t have a rooster.

She sounds like she is going broody.
My buff orpington and light brahma were mean broodies but friendly when not broody. They would only leave the box if i moved them or for the one hour a day for them to eat. The other chickens had to lay outside the nesting boxes. Mine were laying on golf balls😂. Until i got fertilized eggs(that didnt go well.)

She sounds pre-broody, as she has not stopped laying yet. Soon, she will sit full time. You have the option of breaking her, or getting some hatching eggs and letting her sit
Should I break her now when she’s pre-broody or wait?
She’s a consistent layer of 4 days on, one day off and today was day 2 of 4. I don’t know if that matters, but at least I know if she doesn’t lay tomorrow or Sunday something is definitely up

Should I break her now when she’s pre-broody or wait?
She’s a consistent layer of 4 days on, one day off and today was day 2 of 4. I don’t know if that matters, but at least I know if she doesn’t lay tomorrow or Sunday something is definitely up

At this point, I'd make it a habit of taking the eggs from the nest as soon as you see them (fake eggs included). If that doesn't work, and she goes broody, you can break her by putting her in a dog kennel with a wire bottom

Article 'foldable wire dog crates - a good tool for every chickeneer' https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

The way I tell if a hen is broody and deserves hatching eggs is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest. She'll probably spend practically all day on the nest too but it's the two consecutive nights that confirms to me that she is broody.

A broody hen should not be laying eggs but in the real world there are exceptions to everything. "Should" does not always mean "Ain't no way". I'm not sure if she is already firmly committed to being broody or not. Sometimes they are sort of maybe thinking about it instead of totally flipping to the broody side. I've had this go on for two weeks before they decide.

A broody hen should come off of the nest to eat and drink. I've had a broody hen come off the nest twice a day for over a hour each time. I've had one come off once every morning for 15 minutes. I've had some I never see off of the nest but I know they are coming off since they are not pooping in the nest.

The way I break a broody hen is to put her in a wire bottomed cage for 72 hours with food and water but nothing that looks like a nest. The air under her seems to help break her from being broody. 72 hours is long enough for most but occasionally I have to put one back in the cage for a while longer.

I'm not looking at your girl so I'm not sure what I'd do right now. I do not lock mine up until they are committed broody but I don't see any problems if you want to now. I don't think it is important one way or the other.

Good luck!

The way I tell if a hen is broody and deserves hatching eggs is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest. She'll probably spend practically all day on the nest too but it's the two consecutive nights that confirms to me that she is broody.

A broody hen should not be laying eggs but in the real world there are exceptions to everything. "Should" does not always mean "Ain't no way". I'm not sure if she is already firmly committed to being broody or not. Sometimes they are sort of maybe thinking about it instead of totally flipping to the broody side. I've had this go on for two weeks before they decide.

A broody hen should come off of the nest to eat and drink. I've had a broody hen come off the nest twice a day for over a hour each time. I've had one come off once every morning for 15 minutes. I've had some I never see off of the nest but I know they are coming off since they are not pooping in the nest.

The way I break a broody hen is to put her in a wire bottomed cage for 72 hours with food and water but nothing that looks like a nest. The air under her seems to help break her from being broody. 72 hours is long enough for most but occasionally I have to put one back in the cage for a while longer.

I'm not looking at your girl so I'm not sure what I'd do right now. I do not lock mine up until they are committed broody but I don't see any problems if you want to now. I don't think it is important one way or the other.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate that everyone is always helpful on here. Of course today she is the sweetest girl in the run. No drama, no screaming :thumbsup
I’ll keep an eye on her and see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom