Broody Hen...8 Months Old

TammyRoesch

Songster
Jun 2, 2022
Kingsville, OH 44048
Good morning! I have a Hen that is 8 months old and has been sitting on eggs for 4 days...if she successfully hatches the chicks, do I need to remove them all to a separate area or will she protect them from the other hens and rooster? This is all a first time thing for me and her :).

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 5
Good morning! I have a Hen that is 8 months old and has been sitting on eggs for 4 days...if she successfully hatches the chicks, do I need to remove them all to a separate area or will she protect them from the other hens and rooster? This is all a first time thing for me and her :).
Where is she setting?
I don't isolate my broodies from the flock. I set them up in a semi-private ground level area where she can come and go as she pleases and flock members can visit and see her.
I can close her in her area when the hatch starts and give her a few days with the chicks until they are very mobile before I open the door for flock members to come in and meet the chicks. Some hens leave shortly after with their brood. Others stay for quite a while before they are comfortable taking them out.

Where is she setting?
I don't isolate my broodies from the flock. I set them up in a semi-private ground level area where she can come and go as she pleases and flock members can visit and see her.
I can close her in her area when the hatch starts and give her a few days with the chicks until they are very mobile before I open the door for flock members to come in and meet the chicks. Some hens leave shortly after with their brood. Others stay for quite a while before they are comfortable taking them out.
Thank you, DobieLover! She's on the ground floor of the coop, snuggled in between a couple of cement blocks....I was hoping to hear that....I don't have a good way of separating her and the chicks from the rest of the flock....Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom