Broody hen abandoned eggs

RedandCompany

Hatching
Sep 29, 2015
My broody hen was sitting on 8 eggs. 3 chicks hatched about 3 days ago. She has abandoned the nest to raise her babies but the rest of her eggs are still alive. One is pipping. I took them in to finish in the incubator. After they hatch, can I sneak them under her again at night?

Thanks, ChickNanny13
smile.png

My broody hen was sitting on 8 eggs. 3 chicks hatched about 3 days ago. She has abandoned the nest to raise her babies but the rest of her eggs are still alive. One is pipping. I took them in to finish in the incubator. After they hatch, can I sneak them under her again at night?
Perhaps she will accept the chicks (if they live) and maybe she will not. My money is on the last option.

What makes you think that the existing chicks will accept their younger, smaller, and weaker brothers and sisters? It takes two too tango and always will.

Last edited:
You will never know until you try, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

X2

I had a broody hen take new chicks each day for a week from an awful staggered hatch rescued from other broodys... she ended up with 23 babies lf and bantam... all survived and thrived, so anything is possible...

I just had a silkie lose her one chick that hatched. I gave her 5 yesterday that I hatched in the incubator. No issues, she was so happy to have babies. Today I picked up 13 new chicks and put them in with her one by one and darnit if she isn't being the cutest little momma with 18 chicks. She got 2 more added later today for a total of 20 and she is doing great with all of them. (The last two came from her sister who had been pecked blind by others wanting her nest box. Sadly she had to be culled.)

I can't tell you how thrilled we are with her. She moves them around under her so they take turns. I'm in Hawaii so it's plenty warm for taking turns.

She is going to get extra special rations for the next few weeks for sure!

All these babies have put my flock at 119!!

I just had a silkie lose her one chick that hatched. I gave her 5 yesterday that I hatched in the incubator. No issues, she was so happy to have babies. Today I picked up 13 new chicks and put them in with her one by one and darnit if she isn't being the cutest little momma with 18 chicks. She got 2 more added later today for a total of 20 and she is doing great with all of them. (The last two came from her sister who had been pecked blind by others wanting her nest box. Sadly she had to be culled.)

I can't tell you how thrilled we are with her. She moves them around under her so they take turns. I'm in Hawaii so it's plenty warm for taking turns.

She is going to get extra special rations for the next few weeks for sure!

All these babies have put my flock at 119!!

Yup, heard Silkies are great brooders & Mommas. You got a good one there, she's a keeper! Where in Hawaii are you, I'm in Hilo on the Big Island. Don't mind the warm but the humidity "kills" me :( Having lived here all my life & returning (1997 - 2010), I understand "dry heat" :)

I'm in HPP. I'm from Las Vegas so the humidity is a killer for me!

I now have 3 Silkies and all are brooding. They lay 4 eggs and go broody. I don't mind as they hatch my Barreds and Australorps.

I have a Americana who has hatched 5 babies and left the other five eggsto fend for themselves. I found them cold and barely moving when I candled them. Is it possible the will survive.

Back
Top Bottom