Broody hen become protective of chicks that aren't hers?

Then there was my GLW Su-su, age six, who last summer adopted three six-week old chicks and protected them and nurtured them until they were nearly four months old. She was definitely broody.

This summer, I kept waiting for her to go broody and do the same thing with my present group of four chicks, but while she did go broody twice during the period they were brooding in the run, she showed no interest in them.

You know how fickle broodies are. It's all dependent on how they feel at the time. We can only watch and wonder what they are thinking.

Su-su caring for her three adopted chicks.

That's amazing, thank you for sharing the pictures. I did try the treat. Just some bread crust. The hen picked it up, brought it to the chicks' coop and dropped it. She clucked, pecked at the bread and clucked again. But the chicks showed no interest. I will try again with her tomorrow, keeping in mind your story and Sue T 's.

This morning I let the hen in the coop with the chicks. The chicks were a little scared and they pecked the hen. She made some noise about that and they (mostly) stopped. I stayed and watched quietly for 1/2 hour. Then I left them alone for a bit. I am checking on them a lot. From SueT's story it sounds like you will know pretty quickly if the hen accepts them.

This morning I let the hen in the coop with the chicks. The chicks were a little scared and they pecked the hen. She made some noise about that and they (mostly) stopped. I stayed and watched quietly for 1/2 hour. Then I left them alone for a bit. I am checking on them a lot. From SueT's story it sounds like you will know pretty quickly if the hen accepts them.

Yay!!!! What a good hen you have. What breed is she?

The hens were given to me by 2 different neighbors. To me, she looks like a black australorp. I can take a picture tonight and post it.

[/IMG]
You can kind of see her and that a lot of the chicks still aren't too sure about her.

Back
Top Bottom