Broody Hen Care

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saylernsaxonsmom, May 17, 2011.

1. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    Got any tips to care for broody hens?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Here are a few things I would do in the case of a broody hen. First, it's generally best to isolate her from the rest of the flock, that way you won't have any problems with her switching nests, other eggs being laid there, etc. [​IMG] Once you've moved her, I would give her whatever fertile eggs you want hatched out(a standard hen should probably cover 10 without any problems) and just enjoy! [​IMG] She should have access to food and water and room to walk around, but other than that caring for a broody hen is pretty easy! As far as tips go, I'd just try not to disturb her too much and let her do her thing. [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]

3. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Hey yours could be my broody's sister [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She get's up about every three days. She does a walk about, a little grazing, a poop [​IMG] , maybe a little dustbath, and then goes back. The whole time clucking like a crazy chicken all poofed up. From what I have read this is all normal. She's confined to her own area and she let's me know when she wants out. It's usually when I let the other girls out in the morning if she's gonna go out at all. Otherwise I just leave her alone with the three eggs I gave her.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. madabouthens

madabouthens Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    i would seperate them and then loft them every day to givethem food and water if they dont get off themselves because if they just sit in the same position the myt die like 1 of my ones did

5. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I agree. They can get quite thin, so encouraging food and water is essential - even treats help!

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    When my hen was sitting on eggs I mixed her normal pellets up with high calorie suet pellets (for wild birds in winter) to try and stop her losing condition. It worked great and after her confinement she looked just the same as when she started. I separated her from the flock and gave her a shed of her own and a private nesting box. I checked in on her every day but basically just left her in peace. Once she had hatched the chicks, I kept them all inside the shed for about 10 days, then I offered her to come out if she wanted. She marched straight back to the big coop with her chicks, and now she's free ranging them during the day and sleeping in one of the nesting boxes with them at night.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I currently have 4 broody hens and only 2 of these hens ever get up of their own accord. Two I have to raise daily and have several attempts to get them to even stand instead of just slumping into a broody heap wherever they are. Usually after about 6 attempts they eventually stand.....then I stand back....usually a horrible rumbling noise is followed by projectile broody poop. After this they usually eat and drink a bit and then I place them back near to their eggs.

If a broody gets up of her own accord just leave her to it and provide her with good quality high density nutrition and water until the eventual chick hatch.

If I am raising a broody hen daily I generally don't do so after about day 18.

8. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I always leave my broody in the coop but put her in a plastic dog crate with food and water. This stops the others from giving her extras which staggers the hatch too much. I open the door once a day so she will be encouraged to come out to poo. If I don't see her leave I remove the top of the crate (makes for easier removal of the hen) and take her out. She runs around like shes on fire screams and poos eats some grass and back she goes.

Once the chicks hatch the door comes off and they enter the coop and free range daily on their own. Never has a problem!

1 person likes this.
  9. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    How do you go about moving the to a different nest? Nudge them off, wait til they go feed, then move nest and eggs, then???

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    When I moved mine I prepared her new coop and nest, then just picked her up and lifted her over to the new coop. I put the eggs in the new nest, and after an hour or so of fluffing and clucking and looking outraged, she settled back down on them. I suppose some birds will put up with being moved better than others, and a move to a new coop would maybe be enough to put some birds off altogether. Can't tell till you try it though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by