broody hen - chick odoption

PreciousCrystal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Millie a hen of a year is broody, can't break her of it. she is one of my two hens. no rooster. so no fertile eggs. heard of giving a broody hen a baby chick and it she raises it as her own. good idea?

Last edited:
Mille a hen of a year is broody, can't break her of it. she is on of my two hens. no rooster. so no fertile eggs. heard of giving a broody hen a baby chick and it she raises it as her own. good idea?
You can give them day olds. I did it a week ago today and she accepted them and is happy as anything.

she seams to have taken the two I picked up today. As soon as I put them in the nest they both ran right under her. She didnt move. I set baby chick feed in and moved the water close. After leaving them for 4 hours I peeked in, trying not to disturb them, and I saw no babies. but the chick feed was eaten out of. Then on closer inspection I saw a little head and her eyes blinked at me. So I guess they are still alive. I locked out Roberta (the other adult hen who is not broody) so the new family would have a chance to bond. How long do you think I should do that? When will Millie want to bring the babies outside?

Thank you so much for helping me. I am new to this, but absolutely love my chickens and want to take the bast care of them.

she seams to have taken the two I picked up today. As soon as I put them in the nest they both ran right under her. She didnt move. I set baby chick feed in and moved the water close. After leaving them for 4 hours I peeked in, trying not to disturb them, and I saw no babies. but the chick feed was eaten out of. Then on closer inspection I saw a little head and her eyes blinked at me. So I guess they are still alive. I locked out Roberta (the other adult hen who is not broody) so the new family would have a chance to bond. How long do you think I should do that? When will Millie want to bring the babies outside?

Thank you so much for helping me. I am new to this, but absolutely love my chickens and want to take the bast care of them.
The only thing you have done wrong there is that you are meant to do it at night and sneak them under her so she thinks they have hatched. But if she isn't attacking them then I guess there is no harm done. Just give them until tonight then let your other hen back in. She will probably bond with them over night too. She will most likely take them out side on day 2 or 3 as that is when they leave the nest. If they don't go out by day 4, I would just put them out if it is a nice day. Glad it worked for you! :)

The only thing you have done wrong there is that you are meant to do it at night and sneak them under her so she thinks they have hatched. But if she isn't attacking them then I guess there is no harm done. Just give them until tonight then let your other hen back in. She will probably bond with them over night too. She will most likely take them out side on day 2 or 3 as that is when they leave the nest. If they don't go out by day 4, I would just put them out if it is a nice day. Glad it worked for you! :)
what time of the night do you suggest?

I have a broody hen with 11 tiny chicks. (Some she takes from the other hens) since she wants all the chicks, I slipped 2 2 week old chicks in last night, those are hers now too. When she goes outside, whatever chicks dont follow get taken back by the other mothers until she returns.

Back
Top Bottom