Broody Hen Complications

chickengoober

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Belton, TX
I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. One of my BO has gone broody and I've read on here that the way to 'break' a broody is to keep her in a cage that's been elevated so the cool air lowers her body temperature. The cage I have is actually a fairly large kennel. It fits in the run just fine and Opal (the hen) seems fine in it but when I elevate it, I can't help but worry about her feet getting caught in the wire or falling through it. The squares/rectangles are approx. 1" by 3" there's a picture, but it was taken at night and I'm not sure if it'll be much help. Is this something to worry about or am I just beeing a paranoid chicken momma?
There's my beautiful hand as a reference
tongue.png

with squares that big, she would be really at danger from predators as well as hurting her legs.

Thanks for the answer. She'd be in te run as well so there would definatly be no predators getting at her, but I suppose that's no longer relevant
tongue.png
. I'll just have to find me a more suited cage.

Thank ya'll for the suggestions
smile.png
. I think what I'll do is keep her in my (new) wire cage with smaller holes. She will be broken...maybe we'll have chicks next time
ya.gif

So heres the update and another question.
smile.png
I have the floor problem fixed... as you can see in these pictures. I used a chicken wirey thing to reinforce the bottom and make it so Opal's feet-sies don't get caught. Would I leave her in it over night? bcause it's been getting quite cold here, and I can't fit it in the coop, I would be afraid to keep her outside in the cold but I know she'll stay in the nesting boxes if I let her sleep in the coop. Ah, what to do.
hmm.png
Here are the picks...

I was going to suggest just laying a patch of hardware cloth over the floor of the cage with the large mesh, but you managed to find a cage exactly like the one I use for my broody-breaking.

I leave mine in their cage inside the run during the day so they don't get lonely and lose their pecking order status, but at night they get moved into the garage with a fan blowing under the cage all night. I really believe the fan accelerates the process, and mine are broken by the third day.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom