Broody Hen - Day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsgibber, May 10, 2011.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Hi all,

This is my second year with a broody Antwerp hatching eggs. I am trying to remember if she sets more firmly...less likely to leave the nest for any period of time...as day 21 approaches. She seems to be determined to sit on the eggs 24 hrs these days as opposed to her daily departure to eat, scratch and relieve herself. I'm hoping that means the babies are pipping under her.

Any thoughts?

2. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    ?

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    usally the last few days they won't get up.Have you placed food and water where she can reach it?Hope they are hatching....

4. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    It's day 19 for me. I noticed the same thing- Stella was in a routine of getting up in the morning for her break and then getting back on the eggs. The past few days she's been "sleeping in" and I've had to encourage her to take a break because I don't want her starving or pooping in the nest. But she's glad to go when I remind her. She runs all around but she goes back on the eggs in about 20 minutes. Today she seemed very talkative on the eggs. I think she must sense some movement or that the eggs are producing some of their own heat. Maybe she is talking to them. I can't hear any peeping. I've been worrying about whether I'd get any chicks but today I feel optimistic again. This is so exciting. Good luck to you!

5. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I poked my head into the broody coop last night and gave her fresh water. After feeling safe enough with me there she reluctantly got off her nest and drank like it had been awhile since she had had anything to drink! She stretched outside, relieved herself and got right back on those babies. I am hoping to hear some pipping when I get home today. I have two other broody's in another coop that are due at the end of the month...I am going to be in little chicky heaven. Good luck with your little ones!!!

Quote:

6. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Checked on Amstel again this morning. One chick has poked it's first hole through the shell and I can hear it working on getting out. Couldn't get a good look at the other four eggs but one is for sure on it's way! I wish I could have stayed home...I would have sat with her all day to watch them hatch!!

7. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Good luck! [​IMG]

I came to help answer your question, but it looks like you are doing fine. [​IMG]

My broody hatched her eggs last Thursday, and I have another due in a few days. I love watching the mamas care for the babies! So sweet! Enjoy!

8. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    There is nothing like it!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by