Broody hen disrupting egg-laying?

Well,that changes my first answer, kind of.I thought she was setting on fertile eggs!! Hahaha!! Poor #3
I do try to mark the eggs accurately, and even keep an egg record book (for health monitoring, mostly). Although we have a camera pointed at the nest box, I will often go out to do a head count anyway, especially if I can't tell who is in there. Fortunately for me, they each have a particular style of egg! The dominant one's are always larger and bullet-shaped, #2's are smaller, tear-shaped, and pale, frequently with spots. #3's are large and rounder at the base, often paler than #1's. Having only 3 chickens sure helps.

I do try to mark the eggs accurately, and even keep an egg record book (for health monitoring, mostly). Although we have a camera pointed at the nest box, I will often go out to do a head count anyway, especially if I can't tell who is in there. Fortunately for me, they each have a particular style of egg! The dominant one's are always larger and bullet-shaped, #2's are smaller, tear-shaped, and pale, frequently with spots. #3's are large and rounder at the base, often paler than #1's. Having only 3 chickens sure helps.
Sounds to me you've got all your bases covered! Thanks for responding!

Update: Since the weather will not allow me to try the dog cage today, I left my broody hen on her nest all morning, tending those wooden eggs. That freed up the bottom of two vertical nest boxes, so I placed the last of the wooden eggs there (all of which I'd removed yesterday morning in an attempt to get Broody to leave). Prissy (the dominant hen) laid a perfectly beautiful and welcomed egg in the bottom box, even while her broody sister occupied/guarded the top. I'm hoping that hen #2 will now follow #1's example.

Update: Since the weather will not allow me to try the dog cage today, I left my broody hen on her nest all morning, tending those wooden eggs. That freed up the bottom of two vertical nest boxes, so I placed the last of the wooden eggs there (all of which I'd removed yesterday morning in an attempt to get Broody to leave). Prissy (the dominant hen) laid a perfectly beautiful and welcomed egg in the bottom box, even while her broody sister occupied/guarded the top. I'm hoping that hen #2 will now follow #1's example.
Good luck! Sounds like a plan

Back
Top Bottom