Broody Hen doesnt like cage idea!!

If its warm i just dunk her belly in cold water and leave it. Durning the summer I'll put a few ice cubes in the water.

Truth be told i think i got one glw that does it in the summer just for the ice bath to cool down.
Haha. Shes the only one who has been broody. She is the hardest to break so far and I hope if the others go broody they arent as tough lol.

Breaking a broody is not supposed to be comfortable
for her. That's how you break her. Put her in a dog crate
with food and water and in sight of the flock. Make sure the
crate is elevated several inches off the ground so air can
circulate beneath her. If she sticks her head through the bars, so what. It normally takes 3 days to break a broody, depending upon
how broody she is.

No, she won't like the cage at all and she will attempt to get out. She's not likely to hurt herself barring an unusual freak accident.

My broody settled down after a bit during the day, but the first night when the others were going into the coop without her she started freaking out and throwing herself against the bars.

I let her be -- watching to ensure that she didn't get stuck or hurt until darkness settled her down.

The breaker cage works by frustrating the nesting instinct. They don't like it, but it's better for them than letting them waste away trying to hatch golf balls.

Breaking a broody is not supposed to be comfortable
for her. That's how you break her. Put her in a dog crate
with food and water and in sight of the flock. Make sure the
crate is elevated several inches off the ground so air can
circulate beneath her. If she sticks her head through the bars, so what. It normally takes 3 days to break a broody, depending upon
how broody she is.
I snuck a frozen water bottle under her and let her sit on it on the floor of the coop. Tomorrow I will put her in the cage and try again. How would she be able to walk if the cag is elevated above the ground? the cage we have are big enough holes for her feet to go through.

Back
Top Bottom