Broody Hen doesnt like cage idea!!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
She looked scared and was freaking out. She was putting her head through the cage and seeing if she could get out. I had to take her out before she hirt herself. I blocked off the nesting boxes and she is nesting in front of them now.

Last time she was broody I had her in a cage inside cause I guess she was more comfortable. It kind of worked but like a whole week of her in the house and than when I brought her back out it still took a couple days until she stopped. But I was told I shouldnt do that so now I'm left with no ideas.

Breaking a broody is not supposed to be comfortable
for her. That's how you break her. Put her in a dog crate
with food and water and in sight of the flock. Make sure the
crate is elevated several inches off the ground so air can
circulate beneath her. If she sticks her head through the bars, so what. It normally takes 3 days to break a broody, depending upon
how broody she is.

No, she won't like the cage at all and she will attempt to get out. She's not likely to hurt herself barring an unusual freak accident.

My broody settled down after a bit during the day, but the first night when the others were going into the coop without her she started freaking out and throwing herself against the bars.

I let her be -- watching to ensure that she didn't get stuck or hurt until darkness settled her down.

The breaker cage works by frustrating the nesting instinct. They don't like it, but it's better for them than letting them waste away trying to hatch golf balls.

How would she be able to walk if the cag is elevated above the ground? the cage we have are big enough holes for her feet to go through.
Show us a pic of your crate, please.
You add smaller mesh to the floor of crate.
I use 1x2 mesh and add a chunk of 2x4 lumber for a 'roost'.
1620646835773.png

Back
Top Bottom