Broody Hen doesnt like cage idea!!

That's why the wire cage is set up on blocks or on a pallet so that she's got air under her and can't make a nest.
I have her on this screen type trap thing cause that's the only thing I could find at the moment. I dont think shell be able to get airflow under her belly with that but once I get the right materials I'll replace everything

Just wrap the cage in mesh so she can't stick her head out. I only spray or dunk their butts with cold water. I have some that you can really see their red hot skin under the feathers there.

Cold water bath. Frozen golf balls. If you put the broody cage inside her coop then she might feel more secure.
The Broody Breaker should be away from the flock. It should be raised above the surface so that air can circulate around the body of the hen. The cage should be large enough to hold her feed and water, but no bedding. It can take up to a week to break a hen if she is really determined.

The Broody Breaker should be away from the flock. It should be raised above the surface so that air can circulate around the body of the hen. The cage should be large enough to hold her feed and water, but no bedding. It can take up to a week to break a hen if she is really determined.

I put mine in the heart of the flock so that Cordon wouldn't suffer in terms of the pecking order and have to be re-integrated.

I put mine inside the coop and it only took 3 days to break her. The cold water never worked with her. Little Black Laced Wyandotte Banty she hardly lay an egg last year being broody most of the time, this year so far I've let her sit on six eggs that came to nothing, whilst in the coop with all the other hens, she would go back to the nest after going out for food and drink and a dustbath to find another hen laying in it so she would just sit in another nest box with eggs in, I resorted to putting her and the six marked eggs into my old coop and put a run round it for her to let her do it in peace. I put my foot down when I found her straight into the nest boxes when I'd let her out after removing the rotten eggs. I put her in one of my dog crates in the coop for 3 days when I released her she was straight out and doing what she should be. Worked a treat.

Back
Top Bottom