Broody hen doing her thing

austrianalps13

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Harpers Ferry WV
This is my 3rd time having a broody hen and letting her sit. I've had one sit on 12 eggs and hatch 9, another ait on 11 and hatch 10. This one sat on 6 and one was eaten after only two days by another hen. We planted the eggs on 8/7. I don't have a rooster anymore, so I picked the eggs up at a friends farm that has all different batches with roosters and separate. Will be fun to see what hatches. I'm planning to not even candle them this time and just let nature do its thing. Except keeping the cats away and predators out and giving her peace and quiet as much as I can, I'm staying at a watchful distance 🥰😇🤍

Attachments

• 20200811_173355.jpg
    20200811_173355.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 44
This is my 3rd time having a broody hen and letting her sit. I've had one sit on 12 eggs and hatch 9, another ait on 11 and hatch 10. This one sat on 6 and one was eaten after only two days by another hen. We planted the eggs on 8/7. I don't have a rooster anymore, so I picked the eggs up at a friends farm that has all different batches with roosters and separate. Will be fun to see what hatches. I'm planning to not even candle them this time and just let nature do its thing. Except keeping the cats away and predators out and giving her peace and quiet as much as I can, I'm staying at a watchful distance 🥰😇🤍
Awesome! What breed hen is that? She's so pretty. Has she gone broody before? Let us know how it goes! What day is she on?

Awesome! What breed hen is that? She's so pretty. Has she gone broody before? Let us know how it goes! What day is she on?
She's a rescue of sorts, so I'm not sure. She looks like a silver spangled Hamburg. She is my smallest one, a year old and it's her first time broody. I call her Feisty now, she pecks me like no ones business when I go to get the other eggs. Lol
She is on day 7 now. I'm hopeful all 5 will turn out, we will see.

She's a rescue of sorts, so I'm not sure. She looks like a silver spangled Hamburg. She is my smallest one, a year old and it's her first time broody. I call her Feisty now, she pecks me like no ones business when I go to get the other eggs. Lol
She is on day 7 now. I'm hopeful all 5 will turn out, we will see.
Awesome! Fingers crossed! :fl

Good luck!! My broody hen hatched out 4 out of 6 last summer and had I not tried candling them, she would have had 5-she tried to peck my son but pecked her fertile egg 😟. Lesson learned. This year she went broody again and I was totally hands off till hatching started, then I just moved her and the nest down to the floor. They really do know what they’re doing. Keep us posted!

Good luck!! My broody hen hatched out 4 out of 6 last summer and had I not tried candling them, she would have had 5-she tried to peck my son but pecked her fertile egg 😟. Lesson learned. This year she went broody again and I was totally hands off till hatching started, then I just moved her and the nest down to the floor. They really do know what they’re doing. Keep us posted!
I'm sorry you had a loss. It happens fast. Did you leave her in with other hens or have a area separate for her and the chicks?

Both times she was left in the coop with her flock. I do set up separate food and water close to her nest which the other hens might snack out of if she’s away. She is a wonderful mom and protector, even tho she is 2nd to last in the pecking order. My hens all free range and she did wait till the others were done eating and out of the coop in the morning to bring them out. She stayed close to the coop for the first few weeks, but now has them ranging with her everywhere. They are 4.5 weeks now and they still sleep in the nest with her every night 😂
645E44AA-4CC2-4830-B166-60668D408F7D.jpeg

I'm sorry you had a loss. It happens fast. Did you leave her in with other hens or have a area separate for her and the chicks?
a

Back
Top Bottom