Broody hen finally left her eggs, but looks bad and acts lethargic! Picture included

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Her face is white even??
1000082847.jpg

I would check her over for external parasites and treat her. Sometimes if a hen sets too long she becomes depleted and parasites get out of control. She should get color back as she builds up her reserves and comes back into laying condition. It could take a while. Generally 3-6 weeks depending on how long she was setting.

You say she "finally left her eggs."
Do you mean that she has been broody for a long time and has now quit?
Or do you mean that she is still broody, but just now got off to eat?

Hens that are broody will tend to act a bit different than other hens, when they are off the nest to eat. They often cluck to themselves, eat and drink quickly, and go back to the nest. But sometimes they will stay off long enough for a dust bath, maybe even sit in the sun to preen their feathers, or do something else. It seems to depend on the hen herself, and I think it also changes in warm vs. cool weather.

Her face is white even??
A pale face is common for a broody hen.

A hen who is laying, or is about to start laying, will tend to have bright red comb, wattles, and quite a bit of red in the face in general.

Those areas tend to be more pale in a pullet who has not yet reached laying age, or in a hen who is molting, or in a hen who is broody (or recently was broody).

It appears that the hormones controlling egg laying are also in control of how red the face area is.

I agree with the suggestion to check her for parasites or any other issues, but other than that I would just watch how she does, and make sure she has access to as much food and water as she wants. Since she is not laying right now, it is probably better if she eats chick starter or flock raiser or some other low-calcium food, if you have some. But if layer feed is the only kind you have, just let her eat that for now-- it will not make a big enough difference to be worth buying a separate bag of feed for her.

Back
Top Bottom