Broody hen going home, chicks 6+ weeks

C Siena

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
Our hen with 2 chicks laid an egg yesterday and today in the nest box. I told our friend who lent her to us with eggs. She said the hen is ready to leave the chicks. They are our first clutch and we have another loaner hen with 5 chicks, 3+ weeks old. What do I need to be aware of with the chicks? Also, when to integrate the second clutch with the two 6+ week olds? Thanks.

Oh, the second clutch has been in a large cage next to the run for 4 days and no one seems interested in the other. I thought about putting the large cage in the run tomorrow to monitor the closer reactions.

Last edited:
I'd suggest putting one of the older chicks in at a time as them being alone with the other chick might stop possible bullying and just switch them every now and then. After the younger chicks reach 4-5 weeks you should find a good night to put the older chicks with the younger ones.

I'd suggest putting one of the older chicks in at a time as them being alone with the other chick might stop possible bullying and just switch them every now and then. After the younger chicks reach 4-5 weeks you should find a good night to put the older chicks with the younger ones.
The 2 older chicks have already been living in the coop/run, it's the 3.3 week old chicks that are in a large cage during the day, next to the run. So you mean to put the older in the cage with the younger 5?

If you put one older chick in at a time there's less chance of bullying and you can see how chiil they are with the smaller chicks.

If you put one older chick in at a time there's less chance of bullying and you can see how chiil they are with the smaller chicks.
Maybe, I will keep one of the older ones in the coop while one is in the run with the younger chicks. If I put an older one in the cage with the younger ones and mamma, I don't have good access as I would in the run. The cage is about 2.3'w x 3.5'L x 20"t. The run is small (for now) at 4.5'w x 13.5'L x 6't.

Maybe, I will keep one of the older ones in the coop while one is in the run with the younger chicks. If I put an older one in the cage with the younger ones and mamma, I don't have good access as I would in the run. The cage is about 2.3'w x 3.5'L x 20"t. The run is small (for now) at 4.5'w x 13.5'L x 6't.
Put the chicks in the largest area and put one larger chick, that seems like the best idea imho. I hope you the best of luck with this.

Back
Top Bottom