Broody hen hasn't left the nest in days??

FelixFelicis

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
North Yorkshire, uk
Hi, I have a broody orpington who has been sat on a clutch of eggs for a few days. 2 days ago I moved her into a seperate coop and since then I don't think she has left the nest at all. There has been no sign of poo in the coop or attatched run and she doesn't appear to have eaten or drank anything. I suppose I could just be missing her getting off the nest but I don't think I am. Perhaps the move has unsettled her and she's not sure what to do? should I try to physically remove her from the nest and risk her abandoning the hatch?

Hi, I have a broody orpington who has been sat on a clutch of eggs for a few days. 2 days ago I moved her into a seperate coop and since then I don't think she has left the nest at all. There has been no sign of poo in the coop or attatched run and she doesn't appear to have eaten or drank anything. I suppose I could just be missing her getting off the nest but I don't think I am. Perhaps the move has unsettled her and she's not sure what to do? should I try to physically remove her from the nest and risk her abandoning the hatch?

For your own piece of mind, feel the hen's body. If she is well freshed she is fine. I have never had a broody go hungry/starve from not leaving the nest. I have had many that I never saw leave the nest. Hens can be sneaky and unlikely to leave their eggs while there's someone about.

My hen hasn't left her nest for a few days, so I'm hand feeding her and bringing her water to drink and putting it into a spoon and having her drink it off there. She seems pretty happy about the service

Back
Top Bottom