Broody hen moving

barndweller

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2024
I have an Olive Egger that has been sitting for 11 days. In all this time, I have never seen her off the nest. She has 5 eggs under her. Sometime today, she moved to another nest with at least one egg. Don't know how long she's been off the original nest, but was on it about 7:00 this morning. Are these first 5 eggs any good? Should I place them back under her? Never seen this before.

I have an Olive Egger that has been sitting for 11 days. In all this time, I have never seen her off the nest. She has 5 eggs under her. Sometime today, she moved to another nest with at least one egg. Don't know how long she's been off the original nest, but was on it about 7:00 this morning. Are these first 5 eggs any good? Should I place them back under her? Never seen this before.
A hen can be off for 8 hours I've read and experienced. Our broody would get off to eat and another hen would take her place and lay an egg. I'd remove the new egg and gently 'walk' her back to her nest and she'd sing to the eggs and settle in. Only had to move her two or three times this last brood

Back
Top Bottom