Didn't really start to brood - are eggs ok?

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi!
Yesterday, our serama laid at about 14:00. Today, she sat in the nest at about 10:00! We were sure that it means she is starting to brood, so we gave her 7 fertile eggs (of her own - we want her to hatch only HER OWN eggs). In the evening, at about 18:00 - she left the nest and went to sleep with her friends. There were 8 eggs in the nest, which means she laid another one. Now, what about the eggs??? She was sitting in the nest for about 7 hours or even more. Haven't they started to develop and now they will die because she left?? Its been about 8 hours of sitting on them, after all...
Please help , thank you!

I am not sure whether they've begun to develop, though I don't think seven hours would have done much for them. Could you go get an incubator if you want to hatch them? I have had a chicken sit in the box for several hours but not as long as that. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help :).

I am not sure whether they've begun to develop, though I don't think seven hours would have done much for them. Could you go get an incubator if you want to hatch them? I have had a chicken sit in the box for several hours but not as long as that. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help :).
Thank you for your comment. We would rather the chicks to be raised by a mother hen... we aren't prepared with the incubator this year

Usually I and most folks wait until Day 7 but you could try checking them Day 5.

Find yourself a small, bright flashlight. In a dark place, put it up to the big end. You could look online for what a 5-day incubated chick egg looks like but there's not much to see except some veins starting and a little blob in the middle.

Chickens do get off their nests but usually not for several hours; however, since it was so early on, crossing fingers this didn't cause them to start then die.

The thing is if she wasn't ready to "sit" for three weeks on those eggs, she probably didn't have her heat turned up nor the feathers of her bottom side all plucked off. Thus, the temps of those eggs didn't go up as high as they needed to start (99.5 or so). When hens are serious, they should have a bare underside.

So you won't know for a few days but hopefully she stays on them now and isn't just parking there for a while. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom